GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101804-roses.html)

Robert 24-08-2005 12:21 PM

Roses

Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type rose
please? Thanks

Dwayne 24-08-2005 01:30 PM

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but all my roses suffered
from spotted or black leaf problems for several years. Last fall I dug them
all up and transplanted them in full sun, with a lot of space between them
to improve the air flow. I also prune the centers out of them to allow for
more air circulation. This year they were the healthiest looking that they
have ever been, and as long as I keep cutting off the blooms when they
started looking bad, they continue to set on new blooms.

The news group rec.gardens.roses might be able to give you the information
you are looking for.
Have you ever tried them?

Dwayne

Sacha 24-08-2005 03:00 PM

On 24/8/05 12:21, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type rose
please? Thanks

Have a look at the David Austin site and contact them for info, too:
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Charlie Pridham 24-08-2005 03:01 PM

"Robert" wrote in message
Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type rose
please? Thanks

I can recommend 'Bonica', Rosy Cushion' and Smarty
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Rod Craddock 24-08-2005 06:17 PM

"Robert" wrote in message
Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type
rose
please? Thanks

Romance has been outstanding here for several years.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Sacha 24-08-2005 11:06 PM

On 24/8/05 16:10, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type rose
please? Thanks

Rosa rugosa (and its hybrids). I like Rosarie de l'Haie
(spelling?)... large double richly scented deep raspberry coloured
flowers, healthy foliage, virtually disease and pest free, golden autumn
leaves. Blanc double de coubert is similar but white.

The OP asked for bush/HT types roses.... Otherwise, I'm in total agreement
with you from the pov of personal taste.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 25-08-2005 09:48 AM

On 25/8/05 8:57, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 24/8/05 16:10, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

Can I have suggestions for the most disease resistant bush/ht type rose
please? Thanks

Rosa rugosa (and its hybrids). I like Rosarie de l'Haie
(spelling?)... large double richly scented deep raspberry coloured
flowers, healthy foliage, virtually disease and pest free, golden autumn
leaves. Blanc double de coubert is similar but white.

The OP asked for bush/HT types roses..

I know; but since "type" is a somewhat vague catch-all term I
supposed he was really saying, " a self-supporting kind of rose for a
bed, not a climber or rambler".
Rugosas are very amenable to pruning and "bushy" enough to count imho:-)

Weasel! ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk