Old 28-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Soleirolia (Mind your own business)

Does anybody know how to get rid of Soleirolia in lawns apart from digging the lawn up.

Lawn weedkiller does not appear to work.

Thanks TerryC
Old 29-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Kay

In article , TerryC TerryC.1uhq7z@gar
denbanter.co.uk writes

Does anybody know how to get rid of Soleirolia in lawns apart from
digging the lawn up.

This has already been answered in the 'mind your own business' thread.
--
Kay

Old 29-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:56:28 +0000, TerryC
wrote:

Does anybody know how to get rid of Soleirolia in lawns apart from
digging the lawn up.

Lawn weedkiller does not appear to work.

My impression (second hand) was that it did work (see very recent
thread). Perhaps I was wrong. I must read the RHS link quoted by
Steve! Rather surprisingly, Hessayon doesn't mention MYOB in his 'The
Lawn Expert', at least not in my 1982 edition.

PS. I've just checked with my source, and selective lawn weedkiller
does kill MYOB but has to be applied several times to fully eradicate
it, and knowing my source, probably using a double-strength solution
relative to what's recommended.

--
Chris

Old 30-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

Does anybody know how to get rid of Soleirolia in lawns apart from
digging the lawn up.

Lawn weedkiller does not appear to work.

My impression (second hand) was that it did work (see very recent
thread). Perhaps I was wrong. I must read the RHS link quoted by
Steve! Rather surprisingly, Hessayon doesn't mention MYOB in his

'The
Lawn Expert', at least not in my 1982 edition.

PS. I've just checked with my source, and selective lawn weedkiller
does kill MYOB but has to be applied several times to fully

eradicate
it, and knowing my source, probably using a double-strength

solution
relative to what's recommended.

My guess, but it's only a guess, is that the problem isn't with the
strength of the solution but with the smallness of the leaves. There
are probably an awful lot of separate little plants in there, and so
perhaps it's hard to get a lethal dose to stick on enough of each
one. A tiny drop of washing-up liquid might help, by acting as a
wetting agent. But I can't see repeated treatments failing.

I wouldn't be inclined to increase the strength, as that might start
killing the grass. I'd recommend patience.

--
Mike.