GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulbs & gastropods (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/102024-bulbs-gastropods.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 29-08-2005 08:29 PM

Bulbs & gastropods

I have a row of herbaceous Lavateras. As these die back to ground in
winter I'm thinking of putting some spring-flowering bulbs in between
them - ditto for the parallel rows of hollyhocks (also herbaceous) and
Hibiscus syriacus (deciduous).

Which types of bulbs are less attacked by slugs and snails? (I gave up
on Iris sect. Reticulata 10 years back 'cos the slugs got them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Kay 29-08-2005 08:48 PM

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
I have a row of herbaceous Lavateras. As these die back to ground in
winter I'm thinking of putting some spring-flowering bulbs in between
them - ditto for the parallel rows of hollyhocks (also herbaceous) and
Hibiscus syriacus (deciduous).

Which types of bulbs are less attacked by slugs and snails? (I gave up
on Iris sect. Reticulata 10 years back 'cos the slugs got them.)

Daffodils and snowdrops are reasonably OK - daffodil flowers get a bit
nibbled but they do get as far as flowering. Small tulips too. Grape
hyacinth have been good for years, but got well and truly clobbered this
spring.

Small iris hopeless, as you have found, as are crocus (though they seem
OK in grass), scilla and chionodoxa.

Cyclamen and Anemone nemorosa/blanda seem OK.
--
Kay

Stewart Robert Hinsley 30-08-2005 06:51 PM

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
I have a row of herbaceous Lavateras. As these die back to ground in
winter I'm thinking of putting some spring-flowering bulbs in between
them - ditto for the parallel rows of hollyhocks (also herbaceous) and
Hibiscus syriacus (deciduous).

Which types of bulbs are less attacked by slugs and snails? (I gave up
on Iris sect. Reticulata 10 years back 'cos the slugs got them.)

Daffodils and snowdrops are reasonably OK - daffodil flowers get a bit
nibbled but they do get as far as flowering. Small tulips too. Grape
hyacinth have been good for years, but got well and truly clobbered this
spring.

I do have the remnants of some grape hyacinths elsewhere, so I can try
them - and perhaps some bluebells.

Small iris hopeless, as you have found, as are crocus (though they seem
OK in grass), scilla and chionodoxa.

All my favourite bulbs :-(

I was thinking of species crocuses, Puschkinia, Scilla and Chionodoxa.

Maybe I'll have to try Myosotis, but that's probably better under the
shrubby Lavateras, where it's not going to compete with the young shoots
of the Lavateras. (Herbaceous Lavateras are probably tough enough, but I
lost several musk mallows last winter/spring, due partly, I think, to
them being beaten up by forget-me-nots and Sidalceas.)

Cyclamen and Anemone nemorosa/blanda seem OK.

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Kay 30-08-2005 11:29 PM

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
(Herbaceous Lavateras are probably tough enough, but I
lost several musk mallows last winter/spring, due partly, I think, to
them being beaten up by forget-me-nots and Sidalceas.)

Musk mallow? Malva moschata? One of my 'weeds' ;-)
Despite the ground cover of forget-me-not.

--
Kay