Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Jack

Default cats

I had some "Pee Off" plants last year. The neighbourhood cats took smug
delight in pooping right on top of them! I won't bother buying any this
year. My brother also found they didn't work. YMMV.

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

http://thompson-morgan.com
--
John Griffiths
Baxenden Lancashire

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Mike

In article , Jack
writes
I had some "Pee Off" plants last year. The neighbourhood cats took smug
delight in pooping right on top of them! I won't bother buying any this
year. My brother also found they didn't work. YMMV.

Carpet gripper along the tops of fences and under gates :-)))

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
John Griffiths

In article , Harry Web
writes
"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

I don't know about the plants, but I'm having some luck keeping them
from defecating in the soil having buried wire mesh just below the
surface. Its the type with 20cm squares. A few have had a paw at the
soil, but having found the mesh didn't stay around. It's supposed to
be good for squirrels too. You can also use it hooped in a slightly
raised position around the top of a wall to stop them getting into the
garden that way. baiscally they can't tip-toe through it.

HTH

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Jack

Today, I've just "planted" a load of unwanted CDs, hoping they might reflect
and scare off the cats. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it works,
although I don't hold out much hope.

"Mike" wrote in message
news
Carpet gripper along the tops of fences and under gates :-)))

Old 30-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from John Griffiths contains these words:

I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

......unless you touch it, according to T & M's catalogue.

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Old 06-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
In article , Harry Web
writes
"julie manns" wrote in message
can anyone offer advice on how to keep them off plants.

I don't know about the plants, but I'm having some luck keeping them
from defecating in the soil having buried wire mesh just below the
surface. Its the type with 20cm squares. A few have had a paw at the
soil, but having found the mesh didn't stay around. It's supposed to
be good for squirrels too. You can also use it hooped in a slightly
raised position around the top of a wall to stop them getting into the
garden that way. baiscally they can't tip-toe through it.

HTH

I have just ordered 6 "Scaredy Cat Plants" Coleus Canina from Thompson
Morgan Cost £7.99 I will see if that works . Supposed to scare the
hell out of cats - a smell that cats can detect but we can't.

We went to visit my sister on Saturday and I can iterate once again that
those "ultrasonic" cat scarers don't work. Our dog seemed a *bit*
uncomfortable up close to them, but a few cats wandered through the
garden happily.

In addition *I* can hear them. They're at the extreme end of the
frequencies I can hear, but standing in a garden with a loud high
pitched whine irritated the hell out of me.

There were two different models in use and I could hear them both. The
more expensive version was a bit higher in pitch, but a lot louder. The
cheaper ones were battery powered so that would explain the loudness
level.

I'm not *too* bothered about our's and neighbours' cats since their
scrabbling hasn't done much beyond the odd seedling and a few heathers
that they slept on to death. We have a dog who hasn't learned that the
incredible display of daffs that one boder was putting on is not to be
ignored when talking to next door's dog.

Warwick
Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 AM
swroot

Warwick wrote:

[...]

um. Just to counter that, for some years we had the model sold by the
RSPB and it certainly did work -- we tested it on our own cats[1] to be
certain. The slightly deaf (many are) cat approached within c. 2m before
looking perturbed; a younger cat with (presumably) better hearing
actively avoided an area of about 4m around the thing after setting it
off. I can't remember what area it's supposed to cover, but that was
adequate for our purposes.

It's important to site the device correctly, and to move it about, but I
found it effective in preventing cats using their normal routes into the
garden.

In addition *I* can hear them. They're at the extreme end of the
frequencies I can hear, but standing in a garden with a loud high
pitched whine irritated the hell out of me.

Mine started whining -- and failing to deter cats -- during a very wet
winter after about 3 years of constant use. I assumed it was broken, but
have not bothered to replace it as the main nuisance cat has
disappeared. FWIW I used the mains adaptor rather than batteries.

regards
sarah

[1] House cats, allowed into the garden under supervision.

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM
Cats (No, not the usual thread) Simon Avery United Kingdom 1 18-01-2003 06:58 PM