Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
will

Default Growing potatoes in containers: FAQ clarification needed

The FAQ has two differing opinions about whether earlies should be
grown in containers. Ron Lowe says yes, the HDRA say no. Could someone
advise please?

Also, the FAQ lists "Vegetables by Alan Gould and Alan Deverill" at
the URL of
http://www.deverill.demon.co.uk/vegindex.htm, but this is a dead link.
Has it been removed?

I'd like to read it!

Will
Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Alan Gould

In article , will
writes
The FAQ has two differing opinions about whether earlies should be
grown in containers. Ron Lowe says yes, the HDRA say no. Could someone
advise please?

Yes early potatoes can be grown in containers given the right
management. Could you explain where HDRA say they cannot?

Also, the FAQ lists "Vegetables by Alan Gould and Alan Deverill" at
the URL of
http://www.deverill.demon.co.uk/vegindex.htm, but this is a dead link.
Has it been removed?

I'd like to read it!

The urg FAQ 'Vegetable and Salad Index' is now accessible at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
Hopefully the urg FAQ list will be corrected soon.
The veg. INDEX is in need of updating now, but it contains a lot of very
useful information and I hope you enjoy using it. I am always happy to
answer any queries about it.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , will
writes
The FAQ has two differing opinions about whether earlies should be
grown in containers. Ron Lowe says yes, the HDRA say no. Could someone
advise please?

That's gardening, someone can do something with great success someone
else tries it and ha s total failure.

Best bet is to just try it for your self.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
will

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , will
writes
The FAQ has two differing opinions about whether earlies should be
grown in containers. Ron Lowe says yes, the HDRA say no. Could someone
advise please?

Yes early potatoes can be grown in containers given the right
management. Could you explain where HDRA say they cannot?

Alan

On the HDRA page regarding potatoes
(http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm), there's a table summarising
the different methods of growing potatoes. In the Containers section
it says that the disadvantages include: "Not suitable for earlies,
whole container harvested at once, Large quantities of soil/compost
required, Lots of watering needed..."

Is this correct?

Will
Old 14-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Alan Gould

In article , will
writes

On the HDRA page regarding potatoes
(http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm), there's a table summarising
the different methods of growing potatoes. In the Containers section
it says that the disadvantages include: "Not suitable for earlies,
whole container harvested at once, Large quantities of soil/compost
required, Lots of watering needed..."

Is this correct?

Those are disadvantages of growing potatoes on containers as compared to
growing them outside in soil. The advantages are also pointed out. It
does not mean that it cannot be done, but that the method needs correct
management. You can find a fuller description of container growing
methods in the FAQ mention at Section E. of the potato growing page.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 14-03-2003, 12:08 PM
will

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article , will
writes

On the HDRA page regarding potatoes
(http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm), there's a table summarising
the different methods of growing potatoes. In the Containers section
it says that the disadvantages include: "Not suitable for earlies,
whole container harvested at once, Large quantities of soil/compost
required, Lots of watering needed..."

Is this correct?

Those are disadvantages of growing potatoes on containers as compared to
growing them outside in soil. The advantages are also pointed out. It
does not mean that it cannot be done, but that the method needs correct
management. You can find a fuller description of container growing
methods in the FAQ mention at Section E. of the potato growing page.

Alan, I understand that, but one of the disadvantages listed is "Not
suitable for earlies", while Ron Lowe suggests that earlies are well
suited to pots. That was what I was puzzled about.

Anyway, I'm going to plant some earlies in pots and see what happens,
as suggested.

Thanks all, Will
Old 14-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Ron Lowe

In article , will
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message news:9PKt7FBXQ
In article , will
writes
The FAQ has two differing opinions about whether earlies should be
grown in containers. Ron Lowe says yes, the HDRA say no. Could someone
advise please?

Yes early potatoes can be grown in containers given the right
management. Could you explain where HDRA say they cannot?

Alan

On the HDRA page regarding potatoes
(http://www.hhdra.ic24.net/potcult.htm), there's a table summarising
the different methods of growing potatoes. In the Containers section
it says that the disadvantages include: "Not suitable for earlies,
whole container harvested at once, Large quantities of soil/compost
required, Lots of watering needed..."

Is this correct?

Will

A surprise to suddenly see my name splattered across the Newsgroup !!
I wasn't aware of the HDRA page when I wrote the FAQ and I must admit to
not having looked at it since learning of it. However why it should say
"Not suitable for earlies" I do not know. The yield from earlies is less
than from maincrop varieties but they are, IMHO, worth growing simply
because they are likely to mature anything from 2 to 5 weeks before my
plot potatoes mature. Depending of course on when you start them. I
agree with the quantities comment. It is an expensive way of producing
them rather than planting them in an allotment /garden. A fair bit of
watering is needed but too much water is a much bigger problem. Last
year I lost 3, of 5, pots due to being away and finding on return that
so much rain had fallen that the potatoes had rotted.
Go on, plant a few and see what you get. I can assure you it is a very
satisfying feeling to harvest and eat clean new potatoes and then seeing
that Jersey Royals are £1:50 per lb., or more, in the local
greengrocers.
Apologies for the late answer but I only caught up with this thread a
few hours ago.
Ron Lowe
--
My real Domain name is, (phonetically),
tango-whisky-india-november-papa-india-november.

Old 15-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Natalie

[...]

Ron - what would you recommend covering the potatoes with as they grow?
These are being grown at the school I work and I was hoping to use something
cheaper than compost. Would shredded paper or shredded plant material be OK
or even a mixture of the two?

Natalie

Old 16-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Ron Lowe

In article , Natalie
writes

[...]

Hello Natalie,
I admit to never having tried shredded paper or plant material so I have
no experience on which to give a definitive answer. I don't know how
many containers you have but if you have more than one why not
experiment with a different covering in each. Results of any experiment
could well be valuable for a future FAQ amendment.
As of yesterday, (Sat), I am the owner of a second hand shredder and one
reason for buying it was to use shredded wood in my pots.
Ron Lowe
--
Visit my Antarctica Holiday pages... http://www.twinpin.demon.co.uk/start.htm

Old 16-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Natalie

" Hello Natalie,
I admit to never having tried shredded paper or plant material so I have
no experience on which to give a definitive answer. I don't know how
many containers you have but if you have more than one why not
experiment with a different covering in each. Results of any experiment
could well be valuable for a future FAQ amendment.
As of yesterday, (Sat), I am the owner of a second hand shredder and one
reason for buying it was to use shredded wood in my pots.
Ron Lowe
--

Hmm maybe I should buy some more seed potatoes and experiment. Maybe I'll
try one paper, one shredded plant material and one a mixture of the two.

I have a paper shredder at home and have taken my garden shredder up to
school. Now I have transfer my garden waste to school...

Maybe I'll be in a position to supply potatoes for school dinners ;-)

Natalie

Clarification needed Jim[_10_] Ponds 0 21-09-2007 11:52 AM
Clarification needed Prof. Ponds 0 21-09-2007 10:27 AM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 06:37 PM
Growing potatoes in containers. Eric Smith United Kingdom 0 15-03-2003 09:44 AM