GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes in containers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10360-potatoes-containers.html)

Natalie 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

Potatoes in containers

I intend to grow potatoes in plastic dustbins at school. How many seed
potatoes should I plant per dustbin? Also, after planting the potatoes in
compost can I then add a cheaper material, like shredded paper, to keep the
stems covered?

TIA

Natalie

Dwayne 14-03-2003 08:53 AM

Potatoes in containers

Potatoes can be grown in just about anything. I have not heard of shredded
paper, but straw, leaves, dirt, etc. Just don't use something that will
keep the moisture in. They will rot if kept too wet.

I don't know how big a dust bin is, but you can put one in the space needed
for a 5 gallon bucket. You can put two in a pile of tires (that is what I
used when mine rotted). If a dust bin is even bigger, put in three and see
what happens.

Have fun. Dwayne

Jim W 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Potatoes in containers

Natalie wrote:

I intend to grow potatoes in plastic dustbins at school. How many seed
potatoes should I plant per dustbin? Also, after planting the potatoes in
compost can I then add a cheaper material, like shredded paper, to keep the
stems covered?

TIA

Indoors or outdoors?

Generally not more than 5. I would recommed 2 or 3, and Salad & early
cultivars work best from what I know...

This is assuming you are using standard round 'black plastic bin' type
dustbins. (Eg bit smaller than an oil barrel size)

It is possible to grow spuds under a straw blanket providing they are in
a layer of good compost to feed off. I would think shredded paper would
be OK as a substitute.

I would start off with a first later of compost and then try continuing
with paper or straw. Spuds are hard to kill so you will probably get
something!!-)

How are you anyway,.. Haven't heard from you for ages.
//
Jim