Old 14-03-2003, 11:44 AM
A.Malhotra

Default purple sprouting broccoli

This is one of my favourite veggies and for some reason difficult to find
in the shops. We planted some last year in the garden but gradual attrition
at various stages has left us with one plant! This is now producing
sprouts, although the plant is still quite small (less than a foot high).
I'm wondering at what stage I should harvest the sprouts, and how do I go
about it? Cut them off individually? Leave the central one to continue to
grow and harvest only the side shoots? Advice appreciated.
Anita
Old 14-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:25:31 +0000, "A.Malhotra"
wrote:

This is one of my favourite veggies and for some reason difficult to find
in the shops. We planted some last year in the garden but gradual attrition
at various stages has left us with one plant! This is now producing
sprouts, although the plant is still quite small (less than a foot high).
I'm wondering at what stage I should harvest the sprouts, and how do I go
about it? Cut them off individually? Leave the central one to continue to
grow and harvest only the side shoots? Advice appreciated.
Anita

Cut then off as they become usable size and do not let any heads go to
seed or it will not produce more shoots. You have one mor plant than
I do! I never got round to sowing any last year.
Enjoy
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 15-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Dave Hunt

Subject: purple sprouting broccoli
From: "A.Malhotra"
Date: 14/03/2003 11:25 GMT Standard Time
This is one of my favourite veggies and for some reason difficult to find
in the shops. We planted some last year in the garden but gradual attrition
at various stages has left us with one plant! This is now producing
sprouts, although the plant is still quite small (less than a foot high).
I'm wondering at what stage I should harvest the sprouts, and how do I go
about it? Cut them off individually? Leave the central one to continue to
grow and harvest only the side shoots? Advice appreciated.
Anita

I always take the centre sprout out first, this encourages the side shoots to
grow.
I usually plant half a packet of white and half a packet of purple in a nursery
bed, grow them on to about 5-6 inches tall, then transplant about ten of each
to their growing positions,(they like soil well limed)...which of course leaves
me with LOTS of seedlings to give away to friends!

This year my white sprouting broccoli ( about 4-5 feet high) is already
producing good shoots, whilst the purple are only just starting to get their
centre sprouts.
Certainly one of my favourite veg...we often just have a large plate of them,
boiled or steamed (best method) served with knobs of butter and plenty of
milled black pepper.....fabulous!
Dave
Dave Hunt...Shropshire
----share what you know...learn what you don't----
Old 16-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , A.Malhotra
writes
This is one of my favourite veggies and for some reason difficult to find
in the shops. We planted some last year in the garden but gradual attrition
at various stages has left us with one plant! This is now producing
sprouts, although the plant is still quite small (less than a foot high).
I'm wondering at what stage I should harvest the sprouts, and how do I go
about it? Cut them off individually? Leave the central one to continue to
grow and harvest only the side shoots? Advice appreciated.

break them off individually. Remove the top one first, and that will
stimulate more side ones to develop.

If you leave them too long the flowers will strt to open - still edible
and good, but the stems start getting tough.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/