Old 14-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Mike

Default Cookenhof?? Gardens

I have been asked to organise a reunion/trip to the above gardens which
I am led to believe are near Amsterdam. I have tried to find details but
guess it would help if I had the correct spelling :-((

Can anyone help me please?

Mike
http://www.collingwoodassoc.org.uk/ Reunion. Chatham May 30th - June 2nd

Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Reunion October 2003 Isle of Wight.
National Service (RAF) Association reunion. Nov 2003 Scarborough.

Old 14-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Charles Davis

The correct spelling is
Keukenhof
see
http://www.keukenhof.nl/

Old 14-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Mike

In article , Camilla
Peake writes
Try www.Holland.com for details of the Keukenhof gardens. Great place.
Camilla.

You sound as if you have been there :-))

How long should I allow for a visit?

Old 14-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Natalie

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Camilla
Peake writes
Try www.Holland.com for details of the Keukenhof gardens. Great place.
Camilla.

You sound as if you have been there :-))

How long should I allow for a visit?

Mike

I've been to the Keukenhof gardens Mike. I'd allow at least half a day for
the gardens but there is a lot to see in the area including the National
Botanic Gardens in Leiden.

Natalie

Old 14-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Mike

In article , Natalie
writes

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Camilla
Peake writes
Try www.Holland.com for details of the Keukenhof gardens. Great place.
Camilla.

You sound as if you have been there :-))

How long should I allow for a visit?

Mike

I've been to the Keukenhof gardens Mike. I'd allow at least half a day for
the gardens but there is a lot to see in the area including the National
Botanic Gardens in Leiden.

Natalie

Thanks Natalie

My brief is the Gardens, the Tulip Fields and a visit to Amsterdam with
a Barge trip. I have to plan it for 30 April - 4 May 2004. Quite a way
off I know, but the AGM is at the end of this month when I have to
present the whole thing.

So far one coach load but I think it just may be more :-))

Any input welcomed

Many thanks

Old 14-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Mike

In article , Charles Davis
writes
The correct spelling is
Keukenhof
see
http://www.keukenhof.nl/

Now I know why I couldn't find it :-)) Many thanks.

The trouble was that the name came over in a telephone conversation from
a client today and I don't think he knew quite how to spell it either.

Have visited the site. many thanks.

Old 14-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Natalie

My brief is the Gardens, the Tulip Fields and a visit to Amsterdam with
a Barge trip. I have to plan it for 30 April - 4 May 2004. Quite a way
off I know, but the AGM is at the end of this month when I have to
present the whole thing.

So far one coach load but I think it just may be more :-))

Any input welcomed

Many thanks

Mike

I personally wouldn't bother visiting Amsterdam...unless your group is
interested in the Anne Frank House or Art Museums. Delft and Leiden are
much nicer towns with all the charm of the Dutch canals. The bulb fields
are amazing and can be seen just driving around the area. There are boat
trips where you go past an incredible number of windmills.

Natalie

Old 14-03-2003, 10:35 PM

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:40:41 -0000, "Natalie"
wrote:

My brief is the Gardens, the Tulip Fields and a visit to Amsterdam with
a Barge trip. I have to plan it for 30 April - 4 May 2004. Quite a way
off I know, but the AGM is at the end of this month when I have to
present the whole thing.

So far one coach load but I think it just may be more :-))

Any input welcomed

Many thanks

Mike

I personally wouldn't bother visiting Amsterdam...unless your group is
interested in the Anne Frank House or Art Museums. Delft and Leiden are
much nicer towns with all the charm of the Dutch canals. The bulb fields
are amazing and can be seen just driving around the area. There are boat
trips where you go past an incredible number of windmills.

I wouldn't knock yourself out to get to Amsterdam because you won't
have time to do it justice in one visit and it is easy to get to by
air, or by ferry and coach, from the UK, so you can do it another
time.

We have been to Amsterdam a number of times and tick a few more things
off each time (our current favourite is the Van Gogh Museum) . We did
a day trip to Leiden on one visit (Dutch trains are excellent and
Leiden is on the main line between Amsterdam, Den Haag and Rotterdam).
We found it much as Natalie describes, compared to Amsterdam, and
decided to base ourselves in the area next time we went to Holland.
That was last summer, when we actually stayed at Noordwijk-aan-Zee
(mind the Gatso on the road out of Noordwijk towards Leiden, it has a
hair trigger...). We went to the Leiden Botanical Gardens on our
first visit to the town. It is not brilliantly signposted, so try to
find a map, or take a circular canal trip which will go past it. I
thought it was very interesting but then I haven't been to Kew. Irene
has been to Kew and said it was on a completely different scale (which
I think I had already guessed).

We like Holland, so may be biased, but I think you will find it
difficult not to enjoy yourselves unless the trip is particularly
badly organised. Just mind the cakes in those coffee shops...
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 15-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Natalie

We like Holland, so may be biased, but I think you will find it
difficult not to enjoy yourselves unless the trip is particularly
badly organised. Just mind the cakes in those coffee shops...
--

If you like Leiden then you'll also be interested in Delft. They have a
flower market on Thursdays. Also going to the flower auction is very

Natalie

Old 15-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Mike

In article ,
writes
wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for your comments and recommendations.

With regards to being 'badly organised', before I started organising
reunions I went to a couple which weren't organised at all. It was a 'We
will meet at so and so and the hotels to stay at are 'A', 'B' or 'C''
This was a weekend 'do' and many of us were at a loose end.

I now organise the hotel, the timetable, at least one trip out and the
entertainment (or at least ensure there is suitable entertainment) and
possibly the option of a second trip out. This one in Amsterdam is on
the grounds of a recommendation. The last 6 reunions I have organised
have resulted in a 'Mike same service again next year please', the word
then gets out and the bookings coming in all ready. And all of this is a
hobby :-)) My reward is seeing people enjoy themselves and I get to the
reunions as well :-) The reunion of the 28th Feb to the 2nd March was
one where many people were meeting for the first time in 33 years. The
first commission of H.M.S.Andromeda in 1969 and their Captain came as
well :-))

Old 15-03-2003, 08:04 AM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote
Charles Davis writes
The correct spelling is
Keukenhof seehttp://www.keukenhof.nl/

Now I know why I couldn't find it :-)) Many thanks.
The trouble was that the name came over in a telephone conversation

from
a client today and I don't think he knew quite how to spell it

either.
Have visited the site. many thanks.
Mike

You will love the Keukenhof Mike.
The bulbs are all in rows standing to attention :~))))))

Personally I hate it !
The Botanical gardens in Utrecht are much nicer :
http://www.bio.uu.nl/botgard/
http://www.bio.uu.nl/intecol/university.html

Jenny

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Mike

In article , JennyC
writes

"Mike" wrote
Charles Davis writes
The correct spelling is
Keukenhof seehttp://www.keukenhof.nl/

Now I know why I couldn't find it :-)) Many thanks.
The trouble was that the name came over in a telephone conversation

from
a client today and I don't think he knew quite how to spell it

either.
Have visited the site. many thanks.
Mike

You will love the Keukenhof Mike.
The bulbs are all in rows standing to attention :~))))))

? ;-}

Personally I hate it !
The Botanical gardens in Utrecht are much nicer :
http://www.bio.uu.nl/botgard/
http://www.bio.uu.nl/intecol/university.html

The trouble is that the client has requested Keukenhof and when the
client says jump, I jump and on the way up I ask 'How far'.
However, I will tactfully suggest that the gardens you mention might be
a good idea, especially as you have a little 'local knowledge'.

I do like to visit these places before recommending them myself, so I
may just nip over and have a look ;-))))

(My GM was in Belgium over the weekend checking out an hotel, so I think
I may just do the same :-) )