GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When do i pick Damsons? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/104180-when-do-i-pick-damsons.html)

r.p.mcmurphy 02-09-2005 10:20 PM

When do i pick Damsons?

I have a few Damson trees in my garden that are covered with fruit. When do
i pick them for jam?

steve

keith ;-\) 03-09-2005 10:34 AM

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
I have a few Damson trees in my garden that are covered with fruit. When

do
i pick them for jam?

steve

I will be leaving mine until the fruit has fully darkened & slightly soft

when squeezed.So I leave them as long as possible.I think I picked about the
end of September last year.
I think you will know when the time is right .
Thanks Keith

J Jackson 05-09-2005 02:31 PM

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
: I have a few Damson trees in my garden that are covered with fruit. When do
: i pick them for jam?

There will be that naturally fall off. When that starts to get regular,
then gently feel the fruit - if when your feeling they fall off in your
hand then it was ready for picking :-)

If you are jam making then make sure there are a few unripe one's along
with the ripe one's to assist setting (or add some apple).

You don't have to strip the tree in one go - work over it and get off what
is ripe, leaving the rest to ripen later. I've been picking my victoria's
for 1 week now and will be for another few weeks. I suspect I've serious
jam quantities ready now, instead of just eating and feeding the extending
family!