GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Beehive" composters - opinions? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/104438-%22beehive%22-composters-opinions.html)

Dean 08-09-2005 10:37 PM

"Beehive" composters - opinions?

Hi All,

I've been given two of these beehive composters. Anyone got any opinions on
them good or bad? Im used to using the home made (from pallets) and the
enclosed black plastic ones, but have no experience with these. I'd love to
hear a few thoughts.

Thanks
Dean

Glittery Gary 09-09-2005 06:54 AM

"Dean" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've been given two of these beehive composters. Anyone got any opinions
on them good or bad? Im used to using the home made (from pallets) and the
enclosed black plastic ones, but have no experience with these. I'd love
to hear a few thoughts.

Thanks
Dean

my father in law uses 2 of these to great effect.

Padger 09-09-2005 09:24 PM

I assume you mean the type that looks like a dalek. Our council gives these
out free. I find they are not as good as the traditional 'heaps' but still
very useful for the kitchen waste plus a few weeds etc. The worms do an
excellent job of turning it into useful material, just takes a bit longer.

Jupiter 10-09-2005 07:23 AM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:24:15 GMT, "Padger"
wrote:

I assume you mean the type that looks like a dalek. Our council gives these
out free. I find they are not as good as the traditional 'heaps' but still
very useful for the kitchen waste plus a few weeds etc. The worms do an
excellent job of turning it into useful material, just takes a bit longer.

I think he may mean the ones that look like beehives.

Mike 10-09-2005 07:49 AM

"Mike" wrote in message
Goeff Hamilton's Cottage Cardens ISBN 1-85613-352-4 Date 1995 Page 68

Hope that helps

Mike

Forgot to add that these are the pictures and the instructions for making
one :-))

If anyone wants photocopies of the instructions send me an email and I will
deal with it when I return home on Tuesday. (Away for a party and a weekend
off :-)

Mike