Old 09-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Northern Ireland
Default 'Wildflower' help

A colleague of mine is trying to identify a flower that was seen in County Donegal in August. Her father, a keen wildflower enthusiast, has tried every book he has to identify it but has had no luck. It is possible it has grown from seed from a cultivated plant in someone's garden.

Can anyone shed any clues? One of the photos shows the flower head and leaves, the other a closer view of the flowers.

Many thanks,

Jane
Attached Thumbnails
'Wildflower' help-jane-plant-1.jpg   'Wildflower' help-jane-plant-2.jpg
Old 09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , diamond_skies
writes

A colleague of mine is trying to identify a flower that was seen in
County Donegal in August. Her father, a keen wildflower enthusiast,
has tried every book he has to identify it but has had no luck. It is
possible it has grown from seed from a cultivated plant in someone's
garden.

Can anyone shed any clues? One of the photos shows the flower head and
leaves, the other a closer view of the flowers.

Only the latter photograph was visible.

Try Phacelia tanacetifolia. According to Stace it occurs as a casual in
England and Wales.

URL:http://www.google.com/images?as_q=&s...=Google+Search
&as_epq=Phacelia+tanacetifolia

Many thanks,

Jane

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 PM
ned

In message , diamond_skies
writes

URL:http://www.google.com/images?as_q=&s...tnG=Google+Sea
rch
&as_epq=Phacelia+tanacetifolia

Thanks for that.
I found it in Mid-Lincs only 11 days ago and it has been bugging me
since.
Could it be a constituent of 'game cover crops'?

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 24.08.2005

Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Northern Ireland

Many thanks for that Stewart - it does appear to be the same plant, although I haven't seen it in person. One site I found on Google mentioned that it was a cover crop so I wonder if it is being used in Donegal. It would be very pretty to see them in a field.

I wonder why only one photo was showing? I can see both. Perhaps I should have posted them separately?

Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , ned writes

In message , diamond_skies
writes

[...]

I know it as an ornamental, but Stace says that it is grown on a small
scale in fields to encourage bees. (And also that it occurs as a
contaminant of crop and grass seed.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-09-2005, 10:21 PM
ned

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , ned
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
In message ,

diamond_skies
writes

[...]

Just did myself a Google and came up with this:-
WildLife value: - Hummingbirds, butterflies and bees like the
flowers. Birds will eat the seeds.

Many thanks

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 24.08.2005

Old 10-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , diamond_skies
writes

I wonder why only one photo was showing? I can see both. Perhaps I
should have posted them separately?

I don't know whether you're aware of this, but uk.rec.gardening is not
part of GardenBanter, but part of a separate system (UseNet) to which
GardenBanter provide a gateway. It's possible that there's a fault in
their handling of multiple attachments (but I think I've seen messages
sent via GardenBanter with multiple attachments before).

However, your original message contains the following

Filename: Jane Plant 2.jpg
Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...achmentid=2844

It looks as if the first image is sitting on your computer, where you
can see it, and no-one else can.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info
Old 10-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

In message , ned writes

In message , diamond_skies
writes

[...]

It's also grown on allotments, vegetable gardens etc as a green manure crop.
Janet G
Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

http://www.malvaceae.info

Which reminds me - emu me your address and I'll send you some of those
white mallow seeds - I have some drying out.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/