GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Possible tree desease (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/104517-possible-tree-desease.html)

bob whitehead 11-09-2005 11:57 AM

Possible tree desease

Hi all

Sorry to be so vague but I have a few logs at home
some are ok while two or three seem to have these black seed like things on
the bark
The only description i can give is they look like poppy seeds only slightly
bigger.
So if you imagine a roll or 'french stick' covered in poppy seeds that is
what the log looks like.
When you rub something (even a hand) up and down the bark they come off.
I'm affraid i don't know what type of tree the logs are from.
I hope this rings a bell with someone who might know if this is a serious
problem or
just nature doing its bit.(the logs have been lying in a pile for a few
months)
At the moment the logs are in the garage,so i would rather not put the logs
into the garden till i'm
sure they pose no risk to other trees.

Thanks

Bob.

Spider 12-09-2005 01:22 PM

bob whitehead wrote in message
[...]

Hi Bob,

Not at all sure about this, unless it could be dead/blackened Coral Spot
Fungus ...? If so, you are right to keep it away from your garden just in
case there are some viable spores on it.

Sorry not to be more help.

Spider