GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   planted broccoli, harvesting spring greens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/104519-planted-broccoli-harvesting-spring-greens.html)

[email protected] 11-09-2005 02:41 PM

planted broccoli, harvesting spring greens

Here's something odd - I could swear that it said broccoli on the seed
packet, but what seems to have grown is spring greens, or something
very like it. Trade Descriptions Act or what?

Ken Cohen

Janet Galpin 12-09-2005 12:38 AM

The message .com
from contains these words:

Here's something odd - I could swear that it said broccoli on the seed
packet, but what seems to have grown is spring greens, or something
very like it. Trade Descriptions Act or what?

Ken Cohen

If it's purple-sprouting broccoli, it won't sprout until early spring,
any time up till April, depending upon the variety. In the meantime it
will look like most other brassicas, i.e. cabbagey.
Janet G

[email protected] 12-09-2005 07:34 AM

So what'll happen over the winter? Will it just die back?

Ken Cohen

Rhiannon Macfie Miller 13-09-2005 07:40 PM

wrote:
So what'll happen over the winter? Will it just die back?

It'll sit there, looking a bit droopy in the frosts, and slooooooowly
sprout broccoli over a period of hopeful months. Then, in the spring,
it'll explode in shoots. Very tasty ones. And keep on producing them
until the aphids find them or you get fed up and pull them up to plant peas.

So I've found, anyway.

Rhiannon