Old 15-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Zinc Potterman

Default Protecting Gooseberries and the environment

This one is really trying my ecological patience.
I can put up with bugs on my food etc, but my gooseberry bushes have been
stripped two years running by pesky little caterpillars. One type is a
sawfly I believe, but another is green all over and quite small (about1-2cm
max)

I have tried squishing them but for every 10 I squash 20 appear the next day
and the plant is overwhelmed. I guess it might kill them.
Any eco friendly suggestions welcome.
Tried companion planting of sage. It grew beautifullybut the caterpillars
don't like it.
Thanks
Zinc
--
zincnews123 at tiscali.c123o.u123k
To reply to address don't click.

------------------------------------

Old 16-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to
reply) contains these words:

This one is really trying my ecological patience.
I can put up with bugs on my food etc, but my gooseberry bushes have been
stripped two years running by pesky little caterpillars. One type is a
sawfly I believe, but another is green all over and quite small (about1-2cm
max)

'Orrid little beasts innit.

I have tried squishing them but for every 10 I squash 20 appear the
next day
and the plant is overwhelmed. I guess it might kill them.
Any eco friendly suggestions welcome.
Tried companion planting of sage. It grew beautifullybut the caterpillars
don't like it.

Acquire some rhubarb leaves and shred them. Boil thm in a small amount
of water. Strain.

Spray them with that, but make sure the EU Regulations Police don't see you...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 16-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Zinc Potterman

Thanks for the tips.
I'll try next year.

--
zincnews123 at tiscali.c123o.u123k
To reply to address don't click.
Cut and paste, change at to symbol
then delete
all 123's

------------------------------------

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...

Old 16-09-2005, 02:03 PM
J Jackson

Zinc Potterman . (delete 123's to reply) wrote:
: This one is really trying my ecological patience.
: I can put up with bugs on my food etc, but my gooseberry bushes have been
: stripped two years running by pesky little caterpillars. One type is a
: sawfly I believe, but another is green all over and quite small (about1-2cm
: max)

: I have tried squishing them but for every 10 I squash 20 appear the next day
: and the plant is overwhelmed. I guess it might kill them.
: Any eco friendly suggestions welcome.
: Tried companion planting of sage. It grew beautifullybut the caterpillars
: don't like it.

I've heard it said that the sawfly attacks younger bushes mainly and as
the bush ages it is less prone to attack. This certainly matches my
experience. I have 18 years goosgog and red currant bushes that have not
suffered and serious damage for years now, but did when first planted.
I've also heard it said that these bushes should only last about 15
years! They are still going very strong.