Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
David Rance

Default Viking shredders

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more serious
landscape suppliers.
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more serious
landscape suppliers.

Yes, I have one. What do you want to know?

Janet G
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more serious
landscape suppliers.

Yes, I have one. What do you want to know?

How efficient? How reliable? Is yours a petrol or an electric model?

Are you satisfied with it? Anything you can tell me would be welcome.

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Alan Gould wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more serious
landscape suppliers.

I've been running a Viking GB350 5bhp shredder since Aug.2000 - it
comprises a Briggs&Stratton engine attached to a Stihl machine. I did
about 2hrs. work with it only today, clearing up winter brushwood,
prunings etc. It is a very effective machine for its job but it needs a
lot of looking after and it is something of a gas guzzler. I bought it
new from a local branch of Peacock & Binninton agricultural merchants,
but any Stihl stockist should be able to supply one - or give details.

I'm thinking in terms of an electric one. I've been using a Black and
Decker (GA12?) for the last few years and I'm rather fed up with it. I'd
like something more reliable and capable. I know that people here
recommend the Bosch but we have a supplier near here who can order
Viking shredders

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
JennyC

"David Rance" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've

seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more

serious
landscape suppliers.
| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

See http://www.graphicszone.net/monty_py...Series_3/2.htm

Jenny "~)

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
David Rance

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, JennyC wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've

seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more

serious
landscape suppliers.

See http://www.graphicszone.net/monty_py...Series_3/2.htm

No, Jenny, I didn't mean Eric the Viking shredders! ;-)

But thanks for the laugh. I'd forgotten about Njorl's Saga

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of Viking shredders. Can't say I've seen
any in the supermarket type shops but they are sold by the more serious
landscape suppliers.

Yes, I have one. What do you want to know?

How efficient? How reliable? Is yours a petrol or an electric model?

Are you satisfied with it? Anything you can tell me would be welcome.

I have an electrical one, the GE 220 I think, and it is brilliant. It
swallows all I want to put in it easily and quickly and when used with a
little commen sense, very rarely blocks and, when it does, is quite
easily unblocked. I've had it about two years and had no problems at
all. I had a little Al-ko before which had served me for a while but the
relief of moving on to a more powerful machine was immense. Part of the
joy of it is that the intake is large. Because it is high and you have
to reach up to it it is safe whereas a smaller machine which stands
lower has to have a small intake for safety reasons - I believe.

I bought it from The Garden Store who I would also highly recommend.
They say they will beat any price you find elsewhere and they were very
quick, efficient - and extrememly helpful and civilised when I
couldn't work out how to put the wheels on! Just phone 01892 664646 (24
hours). They advertise in the back of several gardening magazines.

Janet G

Old 22-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Joe

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 at 14:24:30 David Rance
wrote:

The chap explained to me the difference between the shredders with
blades and those that crush, the so-called "silent" shredders (like the
Viking GE35 and the Bosch). Now I have to make up my mind between
them! Apparently the crushers are efficient enough but slow.

Does anyone have comments about the crusher types. How slow are they?
And what size stuff can you feed them with?

After much deliberation I bought the Bosch 2200 last year. This is my
first experience with a shredder so I cannot make a comparative
assessment, but it is silent enough to run indoors - I run it in the
garage; it hasn't given me any of the trouble often mentioned on this
newsgroup e.g. clogging: it handles both old branches (over 1.5 inches
thick) and greenstuff with equal ease; it is a lot faster than I had
expected (my expectations were based on comments in this newsgroup).
The shredded material it produces composts extremely fast - I mulched
with last year's shreddings (stored outside in plastic garden bags) last
month. All in all I am delighted with the machine and would recommend
it to others.
--
Joe Farrugia, London