GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composters and Woodlice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10587-composters-woodlice.html)

JP 16-03-2003 09:20 AM

Composters and Woodlice

I've got one of those green plastic composters in my garden into which we've
been dumping garden and kitchen waste for a couple of years. Recently I've
noticed that the surface of the waste is seething with woodlice, or slaters,
as we know them.

Is this a problem or just a normal feature of composting?

JTP

Kay Easton 16-03-2003 06:08 PM

Composters and Woodlice

In article , JP
writes
I've got one of those green plastic composters in my garden into which we've
been dumping garden and kitchen waste for a couple of years. Recently I've
noticed that the surface of the waste is seething with woodlice, or slaters,
as we know them.

Is this a problem or just a normal feature of composting?

It means the surface is a bit dry. If the compost is moist further down,
with lots of worms and no woodlice, then don't worry about it, if the
woodlice are in the middle, then water the heap. I usually empty the
teapot into our bin.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: