Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
shannie

Default Home made cold frame?

I have a very old chest of drawers in one of my sheds. The bottom is rotting
in one of the drawers and I was wondering if this would do as a 'beginners'
cold frame. It's very large measures about 5' long x 2.5' deepx 18" tall.
It's very strong wood (except the bottom)and if I knock the rest of the
rotten wood out of the bottom would it be alright to use as a cold frame? If
it is, do I have to have sloping glass on top or can I just put a pane of
glass on top and leave it flat?

Thanks in advance Shan (Ireland)

--

To mail me direct please reply to:shannie(AT)utvinternet.ie
(replace the "at" with the usual symbol.)

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Annabel

"shannie" wrote in message
I have a very old chest of drawers in one of my sheds. The bottom is

rotting
in one of the drawers and I was wondering if this would do as a

'beginners'
cold frame. It's very large measures about 5' long x 2.5' deepx 18"

tall.
It's very strong wood (except the bottom)and if I knock the rest of

the
rotten wood out of the bottom would it be alright to use as a cold

frame? If
it is, do I have to have sloping glass on top or can I just put a pane

of
glass on top and leave it flat?

Thanks in advance Shan (Ireland)

--

To mail me direct please reply to:shannie(AT)utvinternet.ie
(replace the "at" with the usual symbol.)

Best to have it sloping so that condensation formed on the inside does
not drop onto seed trays etc, also a slopping top sheds rain better.

Bell

Old 16-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Annabel
writes

"shannie" wrote in message
I have a very old chest of drawers in one of my sheds. The bottom is

rotting
in one of the drawers and I was wondering if this would do as a

'beginners'
cold frame. It's very large measures about 5' long x 2.5' deepx 18"

tall.
It's very strong wood (except the bottom)and if I knock the rest of

the
rotten wood out of the bottom would it be alright to use as a cold

frame? If
it is, do I have to have sloping glass on top or can I just put a pane

of
glass on top and leave it flat?

Best to have it sloping so that condensation formed on the inside does
not drop onto seed trays etc, also a slopping top sheds rain better.

But if you're worried that a sloping top might make it a but tricky to
make, you could try sloping the ground you put it on instead. You don't
need much slope, so you should be able to angle it so the glass doesn't
keep slipping off.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Alan Holmes

"Annabel" wrote in message

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

And you don't need to cut the drawer, just bury one side a little into the
ground.

Alan

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
shannie

Once again thank-you to everyone for their advise and help. Cold Frame up
and running and gently sloped now.

Shan