Old 16-03-2003, 01:08 PM
John Towill

Default Best plant for low clipped hegde pls, supplimenary

Thanks for the replies to my original post as above. I would like the hedge
to be 2 feet max, which seems to rule out the lonicera nidida. The box
seems best except that the hedge will run roughly east/west and will be in
full sun. A search of the characteristics of box says part shade.
Any further help or comments would be appreciated. Sorry that I did not put
fuller details in my original post.

TIA
John T

--
Remove the wet from towill to reply
by email

Old 16-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Paul Kelly

"John Towill" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies to my original post as above. I would like the

hedge
to be 2 feet max, which seems to rule out the lonicera nidida. The box
seems best except that the hedge will run roughly east/west and will be in
full sun. A search of the characteristics of box says part shade.
Any further help or comments would be appreciated. Sorry that I did not

put
fuller details in my original post.

Box is fine in full sun, the shade reference is a tolerance not preference

incidentally, I got a mailshot from earlestoneboxandtopiary.co.uk recently
their stock and prices are good AND the do instant hedging Eg 60cm box hedge
@ £55/m

pk

Old 16-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:04:48 -0000, John Towill wrote:

Thanks for the replies to my original post as above. I would like the hedge
to be 2 feet max, which seems to rule out the lonicera nidida. The box
seems best except that the hedge will run roughly east/west and will be in
full sun. A search of the characteristics of box says part shade.
Any further help or comments would be appreciated. Sorry that I did not put
fuller details in my original post.

I suggest a dwarf berberis. Horribly unfashionable, but
serviceable.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 17-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:04:48 -0000, "John Towill"
wrotc:

Thanks for the replies to my original post as above. I would like the hedge
to be 2 feet max, which seems to rule out the lonicera nidida. The box
seems best except that the hedge will run roughly east/west and will be in
full sun. A search of the characteristics of box says part shade.
Any further help or comments would be appreciated. Sorry that I did not put
fuller details in my original post.

Have you thought of cotton lavender (which can be hedged perfectly
to two feet)?

Santolina. It's a real toughie and can survive drought and burning
day long sun. Not only that but it is a very good companion plant for
various reasons - deterring nasties and encouraging friendlies (I'm
told). Evergreen, aromatic and has flowers.

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:25:55 GMT, Rodger Whitlock wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:04:48 -0000, John Towill wrote:

Thanks for the replies to my original post as above. I would like the hedge
to be 2 feet max, which seems to rule out the lonicera nidida. The box
seems best except that the hedge will run roughly east/west and will be in
full sun. A search of the characteristics of box says part shade.
Any further help or comments would be appreciated. Sorry that I did not put
fuller details in my original post.

I suggest a dwarf berberis. Horribly unfashionable, but
serviceable.

Going downtown on the bus yesterday, I carefully watched passing
gardens for examples of low hedges and several more candidates
suggested themselves:

forsythia

flowering quinces (Chaenomeles)

Ilex crenata

Lonicera pileata (and perhaps other species)

some cotoneasters

Of course, all of these would need regular clipping.

Old 19-03-2003, 06:20 PM
gastropod

I suggest lavender as it produces a thick mound upto about that height,
smells nice, is drought and sun proof and will clip fairly well. May seem
odd to some, but an old neighbour had a lovely lavendr hedge.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...