GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lilac won't flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10603-lilac-wont-flower.html)

Peter 16-03-2003 01:56 PM

Lilac won't flower

We have a lilac now wbout 5 foot tall that seems to grow fine but won't
flower. It was rooted from pulled off shoot. We're on Wiltshire green sand
and it gets a good deal of sun. Any ideas before I get rid of it?

Thanks

Peter

PS I have never been able to get lilac to flower - even in London - maybe
its me :(

Kay Easton 16-03-2003 06:20 PM

Lilac won't flower

In article , Peter
writes
We have a lilac now wbout 5 foot tall that seems to grow fine but won't
flower. It was rooted from pulled off shoot. We're on Wiltshire green sand
and it gets a good deal of sun. Any ideas before I get rid of it?

How old is it now?
Are you pruning it?
It flowers on old wood, not new shoots, so pruning regularly could stop
it flowering.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Peter 16-03-2003 08:08 PM

Lilac won't flower

Nope, not pruning it. It would be about 6 yrs old I guess.
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Peter
writes