Old 16-03-2003, 07:08 PM
chaz

Default pruning forsythia advice

i pruned my forsythia hard after it had finished flowering last year but
this year the blooms are much less impressive, despite this method producing
a fine and compact flowering display the previous year. can you prune it too
hard? i pruned it harder the last time as it was still growing too fast and
blocked the light in summer.

chaz

Old 16-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Emrys Davies

'chaz',

As soon as flowering is over, usually in April, remove old and damaged
wood and shorten vigorous flowering shoots to keep the shrub tidy.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 16-03-2003, 11:20 PM
chaz

I think it flowers on the older wood, so if most of what it is now was
newly grown last year, then those new bits would not have flowered

its only flowered on the new wood though! but just not as much as last year

chaz

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Michael Berridge

chaz wrote in message ...
I think it flowers on the older wood, so if most of what it is now

was
newly grown last year, then those new bits would not have flowered

its only flowered on the new wood though! but just not as much as last

year

I always cut mine back twice, once after flowering, and then later after
it has made a good growth I cut the top few inches off, this makes it
bush out and develop flower buds. I always get a good crop of flowers.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
chaz

I always cut mine back twice, once after flowering, and then later after
it has made a good growth I cut the top few inches off, this makes it
bush out and develop flower buds. I always get a good crop of flowers.

thanks I'll try that... cos actually it grew too high last year

chaz

Old 19-03-2003, 06:08 PM
gastropod

These shrubs flower on last years woody growth, which sprouts after
flowering. The best results I have had came from pruning out older wood and
keeping the plant thinner. Some say that it feels it is under threat and
makes efforts to procreate faster!
Neil

"Inge Jones" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Michael Berridge

gastropod wrote in message ...
These shrubs flower on last years woody growth, which sprouts after
flowering. The best results I have had came from pruning out older

wood and
keeping the plant thinner. Some say that it feels it is under threat

and
makes efforts to procreate faster!
Neil

One recommendation I have seen, and followed with success, is to hard
prune back one third of the branches each year, this gives good new
growth this year, but leaves some older growth for flowering next year.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

severe pruning of a big old forsythia Andrew Duane Lawns 3 07-05-2007 09:28 AM
Pruning a forsythia Ed United Kingdom 3 12-04-2007 09:06 PM
Forsythia Forsythia.jpg [2/2] davenport Garden Photos 2 26-03-2007 04:48 PM
Forsythia Pruning Ed United Kingdom 2 09-11-2006 04:28 PM
pruning Forsythia? Kate Connally Gardening 4 30-04-2004 06:03 PM