GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Foxtail lilies - help required please! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107072-foxtail-lilies-help-required-please.html)

Anncee 17-09-2005 12:55 PM

Foxtail lilies - help required please!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would greatly appreciate a bit of help!

I recently planted some foxtail lilies for the first time. Now, each morning, I'm discovering that the earth around them has been dug up to expose the roots, which are gradually being broken off an devoured by some hungry creature.

There are scratch-like teethmarks in the discarded pieces of root, and this morning for the first time there were black, cat-like droppings by one of the plants.

Is this the work of a squirrel? I rarely see them where I live, and they've never tried to eat any of my other bulbs. Whatever it is, the eremurus roots are obviously highly attractive!

If anyone can advise on what to do I'd be extremely grateful - I really would like to see these lovely plants live to bloom next year!

Many thanks.

Clare 17-09-2005 11:19 PM

How about pinning chicken wire on the soil, on top of the eremurus
(after you've replanted them)? This seems to be what's generally
recommended for squirrels digging up tulips and other bulbs. Might be
worth a try.

Good luck!

Clare.

Anncee 18-09-2005 09:22 AM

Thanks, Clare. Actually I was in the garage yesterday and remembered I had some old-fashioned metal bakers' trays left by a previous owner - the very heavy, mesh kind. I embedded these over the plants and covered them with earth and mulch. Looking this morning, it seems to have done the trick - the animal has been scrabbling around but hasn't managed to dig up the plants.

It has polished off the dishes of fat cake and fruit left out for the birds, though (or at least, I'm assuming it's the same animal). I'm sure it's too powerful for a squirrel, though - I'm still intrigued to know what it is!

Many thanks,

A.