Old 17-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Clare

Default cobaea scandens over winter

Hi, I notice on the BBC site that keeping the cup and saucer vine at 7
degrees C or above, it can be succesfully overwintered.

Has anyone tried to do this?

I grew some from seed this year, and they've only just started to
flower in the last couple of days, despite being in a very warm spot.
We came close to frost last night, so I suspect I won't be enjoying the
flowers for much longer this year. Perhaps if I could overwinter it,
flowering would begin earlier? I'd like to give this a try.

Trouble is we've only a small plastic greenhouse, it's in a very
sheltered area against the house, but can't really be heated since it's
plastic. The only way I can think of keeping the vine above 7 degrees
is to keep it inside, but it would be very much warmer there.

Please... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Clare.

Old 17-09-2005, 01:49 PM
ken69

Take stem cuttings, and seed if it sets, cut it down to ground level,
and mulch well.It will grow fast next year once it gets a bit of
warmth.It's the way I treat Passion Flower.

Old 18-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Clare

Cheers Ken, I'll definitely give the cuttings a go.

Is this a non-hardy passion flower you do this with? I've been
dreaming of growing the edible ones (p. edulis) but didn't really think
it was possible.

Old 18-09-2005, 09:56 AM
ken69

Hi Clare....Don;t think the edible passion flower grows in this country
without protection.The fruit of the one I grow is not palatible but
luvverly apricot colour, looks nice in a vase.Cobaea scandens really
does romp away in the spring.Of course a strong winter would kill
it.But easy to grow from seed. No problem.