GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes and mice/voles (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107148-potatoes-mice-voles.html)

Janet Galpin 18-09-2005 09:20 PM

Potatoes and mice/voles

I wondered whether anyone else has problems with mice or voles attacking
potatoes. When lifting my maincrop this weekend I've found patches where
many of the potatoes are part-gnawed or in some cases eaten away almost
just to a shell. I'm assuming mice are to blame - in some cases you can
see their teeth marks! Just odd patches with some varieties but they
seem to have a particular liking for Verity - unless they just happened
to be planted near their homebase.
I'm intrigued because I haven't heard mice cited as a significant pest
of potatoes but for me this year they have been much more of a problem
than slugs.

Janet G