GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lawn edges (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107224-lawn-edges.html)

Jeanne Stockdale 20-09-2005 10:08 PM

lawn edges

I need to re-define the edges of my flower beds against the lawns. Some of
the beds are straightforward - i.e. straight edges for which I can use a
board. However some of the beds are curved. I have heard that a hosepipe can
be used but how do you stop it moving about when cutting (with a half moon)

Jeanne

Brian 20-09-2005 10:31 PM

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
I need to re-define the edges of my flower beds against the lawns. Some of
the beds are straightforward - i.e. straight edges for which I can use a
board. However some of the beds are curved. I have heard that a hosepipe

can
be used but how do you stop it moving about when cutting (with a half

moon)

Jeanne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dust over the hose pipe with flour~~ this will leave a clear outline.
You are quite correct thinking that a hosepipe will give a very natural
looking curve.
Best Wishes Brian.

p.k. 21-09-2005 09:22 AM

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
I need to re-define the edges of my flower beds against the lawns.
Some of the beds are straightforward - I.e. straight edges for which
I can use a board. However some of the beds are curved. I have heard
that a hosepipe can be used but how do you stop it moving about when
cutting (with a half moon)
Jeanne

Mow lawn.

Put pipe in place

Leave for 1 week without moving.

Remove pipe

Cut along neat yellow line in grass!

pk

Jeanne Stockdale 21-09-2005 04:42 PM

"p.k." wrote in message
Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
I need to re-define the edges of my flower beds against the lawns.
Some of the beds are straightforward - I.e. straight edges for which
I can use a board. However some of the beds are curved. I have heard
that a hosepipe can be used but how do you stop it moving about when
cutting (with a half moon)
Jeanne

Mow lawn.

Put pipe in place

Leave for 1 week without moving.

Remove pipe

Cut along neat yellow line in grass!

pk
What a brilliant idea - thanks

Jeanne

Jollygreenp 21-09-2005 08:51 PM

There again if you don't want to mess about with either of those you
could use those meat skewer like tent pegs to hold the hose in place
but make sure that you insert the peg from the outside of the hose so
that the curved top grips the tube.

Janet Tweedy 26-09-2005 09:31 AM

In article , Space
writes
leave the hose pipe out over night in the shape that you want and it should
leave an impression in the grass

Or do what the experts seem to do. Use the hose pipe lay the design then
dribble sand along the line. This should stay whilst you are digging and
will be evident for a while

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph