Old 24-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Peter James

Default Building a raised vegetable bed

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.
Old 24-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Peter James

Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"
Old 24-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Peter James
writes
Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

I built 12 beds this year, I just did it in stages. I bought scaffolding
planks though I know now that I could have probably got the wood cheaper
from other sources.
Treated them with preservative paint.
Stuck two long ones on ground, cut one up to go between and simply
screwed them on with two screws at each end, then hammered in stakes on
two outside long edges to ensure they didn't fall out. Put weed blanket
on ground between beds and covered with shingle.
Filled beds with bags of cheap compost and from compost heap.
Best crops of vegetables I have ever had and so much easier.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-09-2005, 10:48 PM

Firstly Peter, I don't think people worry about typos.

What sort of advice are you after? I recently built some raised beds
myself. 4 beds, about 12 feet by 4 feet each. We bought some treated
timber from Jewsons that was 9" x 2" and screwed it together using
standard brackets and screws.

We did consider buying scaffold boards and treating them ourselves, and
we looked round a couple of reclamation yards, but in the end decided
that it was quicker, easier, more environmentally-friendly and more
likely to give us what we needed, to just go to the timber yard.

They also sawed it as we wanted, so when it arrived I had only to screw
the pieces together. I have done virtually nothing with wood in my
life, so I'd say that there is no need to be worried about being "not
the most skillful of wood workers".

What are you planning to grow?

Will

Old 24-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Alan Holmes

"Peter James" wrote in message
.. .
Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

Believe me, you are not the only one to have posted a word spelt wrongly,
I do it frequently, fortunately there are not too many 'police' in this
group who make comments about other peoples errors!

The contributors to this group are a really laid back lot, who accept
that none of us are perfect, fortunately for me!(:-)

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 24-09-2005, 11:46 PM
cineman

Hi,
Probably not much help to you but here goes.
I have built some raised beds by using concrete fence posts cut down to 18
inches length, and set rock faced gravel boards into them, ill post pictures
on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens in a few days
Set posts into concrete about 6 inches then set gravel boards between, on
top of posts have cemented small concrete animals to tidy tops off .
easy if theres no cutting of gravel boards but a right pain if they have to
be cut down.
will outlast wood anyway and looks very good , (even if i do say it myself)

regards
Cineman
p.s i ought to patent the design hadn't I

Old 25-09-2005, 12:10 AM
CK

Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.........................

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

Oh dear!
Couldn't help but notice that Peter didn't follow his own advice !!!

"Should't" ought to be "shouldn't"

Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

Chris

Old 25-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Kez

"CK" . wanadoo.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.........................

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

Oh dear!
Couldn't help but notice that Peter didn't follow his own advice !!!

"Should't" ought to be "shouldn't"

Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

Chris

what's ironic is that Peter was the original poster.

Old 25-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Harold Walker

"Peter James" wrote in message
.. .
I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.
I am not the most skillful of wood workers, and wonder if anyone on the
NG would have any tips they would share with me, about building such an
itme.

One simple method that requires zero experience is to use builders concrete
blocks....the type that are 8x8x16 inches....just stack them as
wished...mine are two blocks high.....very easily moved to various locations
if so desired......fill the holes with soil and plant in the holes as
well....each hole easily accepts a head of lettuce etc...H

Old 25-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

The contributors to this group are a really laid back lot, who accept
that none of us are perfect, fortunately for me!(:-)

ITYM 'none of us is perfect'

Ducks, and runs for cover...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "CK"
. wanadoo.co.uk
contains these words:
Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.........................

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

Oh dear!
Couldn't help but notice that Peter didn't follow his own advice !!!

"Should't" ought to be "shouldn't"

Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

You didn't notice that he was following-up his own post, then?

Old 25-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Peter James

Firstly Peter, I don't think people worry about typos.

What sort of advice are you after? I recently built some raised beds
myself. 4 beds, about 12 feet by 4 feet each. We bought some treated
timber from Jewsons that was 9" x 2" and screwed it together using
standard brackets and screws.

Because of our small garden, I want somewhere to grow a few veg, and I
know what I need, but it's just how to achieve it. As I said, I'm no
carpenter.
We did consider buying scaffold boards and treating them ourselves,

and
we looked round a couple of reclamation yards, but in the end decided
that it was quicker, easier, more environmentally-friendly and more
likely to give us what we needed, to just go to the timber yard.

I did wonder about using non-reclaimable palletts. And to cut them down
to the required height, screw and fix them into the correct sized frame
and clad them with cladding boards. Cheap and cheerful, especially as
my local builder's merchant is giving the palletts away.
They also sawed it as we wanted, so when it arrived I had only to screw
the pieces together. I have done virtually nothing with wood in my
life, so I'd say that there is no need to be worried about being "not
the most skillful of wood workers".

What are you planning to grow?

Just a selection of salad crops, some beans and maybe a few winter veg
for later in the year. Nothing too extensive.
Old 25-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Peter James

Kez wrote:

"CK" . wanadoo.co.uk wrote
in message ...

Peter James wrote:

I want to build a raised vegetable bed. I have metres 1.80 x cm80 space
available.........................

Should't post without spell checking.
Last line should read:
"about building such an item"

Oh dear!
Couldn't help but notice that Peter didn't follow his own advice !!!

"Should't" ought to be "shouldn't"

Glass houses and stones spring to mind.

Chris

what's ironic is that Peter was the original poster.

Woops. Stands in corner wearing dunces hat, and muttering!
Old 25-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Bodge

Alan Titchmarsh will show you at www.crocus.co.uk/alanshowto/nodigbed/
I bought the timber from wickes.It works and very easy to do.

Old 25-09-2005, 07:14 PM
gardenlen

g'day peter,

yeh didn't know we where in gramma school but hey mate you aint alone
in the typo department.

anyhow down to nitty gritty i use raised beds all the time so if you
check my garden page for building a garden bed on my web site there
may be some ideas there for you.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Building a raised bed wall paulwilks United Kingdom 2 22-04-2005 02:49 PM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 5 26-02-2004 02:52 PM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:47 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:46 AM
building a raised rose bed JimS. Roses 0 18-01-2004 03:40 AM