GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Japanese onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107457-japanese-onions.html)

Leslie 26-09-2005 05:58 PM

Japanese onions

Hello , help needed
Am I to late to plant out onion sets of Japanese over wintering onions.

I have been looking to purchase these sets without any success all ideas
welcomed

Leslie

shazzbat 26-09-2005 07:21 PM

"Leslie" wrote in message
Hello , help needed
Am I to late to plant out onion sets of Japanese over wintering onions.

I have been looking to purchase these sets without any success all ideas
welcomed

Leslie

We got some last week at the allotment shop. 70p for a bag, and no, I
haven't counted them :-))

They're in 3" pots at the mo, and the best developed ones will be planted
out in a few weeks, but hopefully before the soil gets too cold.

Steve

Alan Crocker 26-09-2005 08:47 PM

Leslie wrote:
Hello , help needed
Am I to late to plant out onion sets of Japanese over wintering onions.

I have been looking to purchase these sets without any success all ideas
welcomed

Leslie

Got mine from wilkos.

Alan

Neil Tonks 27-09-2005 07:32 AM

"Leslie" wrote in message
Hello , help needed
Am I to late to plant out onion sets of Japanese over wintering onions.

I have been looking to purchase these sets without any success all ideas
welcomed

Mine went in 10 days ago but it's not too late, they've only been in the
shops for a couple of weeks (around here, anyway!).

You do need to get them planted asap because the better rooted they get
before the cold, wet weather arrives, the more chance they have of
surviving.

They're always a bit of a risk unless you live somewhere very sheltered, so
don't be disappointed if they don't all survive through to spring.

Neil.

Steve Harris 28-09-2005 12:17 AM

In article ,
(Leslie) wrote:

Am I to late to plant out onion sets of Japanese over wintering
onions.

No. I planted some as late as 6 November last year and they worked.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/