GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELP- Minimum depth of soil for lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107527-help-minimum-depth-soil-lawn.html)

[email protected] 29-09-2005 12:32 AM

HELP- Minimum depth of soil for lawn

I am in the process of laying land drains in the form of buried
perforated pipe covered by stone chippings, as my lawn floods every
time it rains and simply becomes a bog.

Can any of the subscribers advise me of the minimum depth of soil I
require on top of the stone to support grass /lawn

Many Thanks.

Rick.

An Oasis 29-09-2005 05:23 AM

Quote:

Can any of the subscribers advise me of the minimum depth of soil I
require on top of the stone to support grass /lawn

We recommend a minimum depth of 100mm to clients! If you are prepared to pay more increase it to 150mm. What you need to do, for minimum maintainence is to get the roots to grow as deeply as possible.

Richard

[email protected] 30-09-2005 12:10 AM

MANY THANKS for all your contributions.

Rick.

[email protected] 30-09-2005 11:15 AM

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Our land drains shift a LOT of water on rainy days; make sure yours
lead to somewhere with enough disposal-capacity.

Janet

With so little topsoil might one run into the problem of it not
retaining enough moisture, i.e. drying out too much in the summer?

My garden used to waterlog too but when I dug it I found it was very
compacted clay. I've since dug out the clay and replaced with sandy
topsoil and that in itself has been enough so far to get rid of the bog
effect.