Old 29-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Jo

Default Moving a Conifer

I have a conifer which was originally in a small pot display (given to me as
a present a few years ago). The pot got broken and the rest of the display
died. I replanted the conifer in a bed and now it's grown to about 4ft
high. It's got a lot larger than I expected. It could do with being moved
over a few feet...would this kill it? I haven't a clue how big the roots
may be and I don't want to kill the tree by moving it. Any advice?

Jo

Old 29-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Harold Walker

"Jo" wrote in message
I have a conifer which was originally in a small pot display (given to me
as a present a few years ago). The pot got broken and the rest of the
display died. I replanted the conifer in a bed and now it's grown to about
4ft high. It's got a lot larger than I expected. It could do with being
moved over a few feet...would this kill it? I haven't a clue how big the
roots may be and I don't want to kill the tree by moving it. Any advice?

Jo A four feet one is easy to transplant and now is a good time of the
year to do it.....the bigger the root ball you take the better off the
tree will be.....just prepare the new hole first and take it from
there....I would probably dig at least 12 inches away and all round the
trunk base and go at least 18 inches deep for the root ball.....happy
digging...h

Old 29-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Registered User

Location: UK Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo
I have a conifer which was originally in a small pot display (given to me as
a present a few years ago). The pot got broken and the rest of the display
died. I replanted the conifer in a bed and now it's grown to about 4ft
high. It's got a lot larger than I expected. It could do with being moved
over a few feet...would this kill it? I haven't a clue how big the roots
may be and I don't want to kill the tree by moving it. Any advice?

Jo
hi joe i moved a small conifer about 2 ft tall 4 weeks ago, the roots were not that long..
i dug about a foot all the way around it digging careful as i wasnt sure how long the roots would be, just dig carefully even using your hands to dig,
then all i did was dug another hole put compost in it then watered it in
& its fine.

we had some conifer trees dug out aswell as we didnt want them when we moved into this property that were about 30ft tall & the roots on them were no longer than about 6ft long
aparantly we got told it depends on what conifers they are as some can have very long roots on them
Old 04-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , debbie_7155
writes

hi joe i moved a small conifer about 2 ft tall 4 weeks ago, the roots
were not that long..
i dug about a foot all the way around it digging careful as i wasnt
sure how long the roots would be, just dig carefully even using your
hands to dig,
then all i did was dug another hole put compost in it then watered it
in
& its fine.

It may appear to be fine now but conifers when transplanted, have a
habit of hanging on to their leaves and appearing quite well until the
following year and then suddenly going brown and crisp and obviously
very dead!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Harold Walker

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , debbie_7155
writes

It may appear to be fine now but conifers when transplanted, have a habit
of hanging on to their leaves and appearing quite well until the following
year and then suddenly going brown and crisp and obviously very dead!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Have transplanted many a conifer and find zero problem....then, I must
admit, I dig a good rootball and prepare the new hole well.....also admit
have never dug a big conifer for transplanting.....the biggest being around
8 feet or so....H

Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Harold Walker
writes

Have transplanted many a conifer and find zero problem....then, I must
admit, I dig a good rootball and prepare the new hole well.....also admit
have never dug a big conifer for transplanting.....the biggest being around
8 feet or so....H

Yes, I was just referring to the fact that it's not just a matter of
digging it up and thinking that just because the leaves are still green
after 4 weeks the tree isn't going to die !

janet