Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 AM
George

Default Silver Birch trees

Hi

I am looking for some advice.

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

Any advice or comments welcome

An extremely novice gardener

George

Old 02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "George" contains these words:

We have some silver birch trees growing on some waste ground at the rear of
our garden, they have now grown to such a height that they are spoiling our
view.

I don't want to cut them down however I would prefer that they didn't get
any bigger, in fact I would prefer them to be 6'to 10'smaller!!

Question is, if I go up with a ladder and just cut off the top could this
kill the tree? Will this stunt its growth? Is this the right time of the
year?

If you really want (dwarf) silver birches there, then the only solution
I can think of is to restrict their roots. Cut them down and pot-up some
of the seedlings you are sure to have growing up everywhere, then
acquire something like stainless steel drums from old washing machines
or tumble-driers, sink those into the ground and fill with the spoil,
then plant the saplings in them.

You should end up with a sort-of semi bonsai spinney then. I'd *GUESS*
they would only grow to about 15' to 20' at the most.

Underplanted with bluebells, wood anemones, lesser celandines etc it
should make a fine feature.

Now, having thought of that, I wish I had a bigger garden!

If 15' - 20' is too high, plant junipers.

--
Rusty