Old 08-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Tom

Default Relocating old aluminium glasshouse (New glass seals?)

Having recently moved to a new (old) house if you see what I mean, I need to
relocate the 8X6ft glasshouse (left by the previous owner) to another part
of the garden.

I've just finished laying the concrete base and I intend removing the glass
and dismantling the alu frame which looks in a reasonable condition.
However I would like to replace the galvanised W clips and S clips with new
SS ones and I have already located a source of supply for these,
however, the existing rubber seals which fitted between the glass and the
alu frame are perished and I would like to replace them.

I would like to replace them with an U section flex material which could be
slotted over the glass edges and mitred with a sharp knife on the corners
prior to fitting the glass in the frame, I believe this is a better way of
cushioning the glass against slight wind movement and would also spread the
point load to which the glass edges are subjected to by the W clips. The
internal width of the slot should be 3mm, the legs to be approx 10mm, the
material should be resistant to UV.
Any ideas as to where I can obtain such a product? I will need approx 200 ft
of it.

Regards
Tom

Old 08-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Phil L

Tom wrote:
:: Having recently moved to a new (old) house if you see what I mean, I
:: need to relocate the 8X6ft glasshouse (left by the previous owner) to
:: another part of the garden.
::
[...]

Go to a double glazing / window manufacturer, they use masses of it in new
frames and will only charge you a few quid....they do half a dozen different
profiles too.

Be aware that it's not adhesive though, it's just black rubber, and the
glass may need to be installed first and then the rubber strip pushed into
the joint afterwards - you can get the adhesive strip and it works perfectly
well and is resistant to UV etc, but this is dearer than the rubber
seal....a drawback to the adhesive strip is that it's a pain (no pun
intended) to get the glass out again as the sticky surface is *very*
strong.

HTH

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Tom wrote:
:::: Having recently moved to a new (old) house if you see what I mean, I
:::: need to relocate the 8X6ft glasshouse (left by the previous owner) to
:::: another part of the garden.
::::
[...]

Have a look here to see what I mean, use the dropdown list to find 'Glazing
Tapes'

http://www.wintun.co.uk/

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Paul D.Smith

Umm. Sounds like a good way of getting water to pool on the edges of the
glass resulting in wet damp areas that mold etc can grow.

For more conventional stuff, look at http://www.twowests.co.uk. I've used
them myself and they're not always the cheapest, but they have the stuff you
need.

Paul DS.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
chris French

In message , Tom
writes
Having recently moved to a new (old) house if you see what I mean, I need to
relocate the 8X6ft glasshouse (left by the previous owner) to another part
of the garden.

I've just finished laying the concrete base and I intend removing the glass
and dismantling the alu frame which looks in a reasonable condition.

When I moved ours, I left the frame in one piece (glass out) , and a few
of us just lifted it up and moved it.

However I would like to replace the galvanised W clips and S clips with new
SS ones and I have already located a source of supply for these,
however, the existing rubber seals which fitted between the glass and the
alu frame are perished and I would like to replace them.

I would like to replace them with an U section flex material which could be
slotted over the glass edges and mitred with a sharp knife on the corners
prior to fitting the glass in the frame, I believe this is a better way of
cushioning the glass against slight wind movement and would also spread the
point load to which the glass edges are subjected to by the W clips.

Not convinced this is at all necessary, but if you do want it someone
over on uk.d-i-y may know of something

--
Chris French

Old 11-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from chris French contains these words:

However I would like to replace the galvanised W clips and S clips with new
SS ones and I have already located a source of supply for these,
however, the existing rubber seals which fitted between the glass and the
alu frame are perished and I would like to replace them.

I would like to replace them with an U section flex material which could be
slotted over the glass edges and mitred with a sharp knife on the corners
prior to fitting the glass in the frame, I believe this is a better way of
cushioning the glass against slight wind movement and would also spread the
point load to which the glass edges are subjected to by the W clips.

Not convinced this is at all necessary, but if you do want it someone
over on uk.d-i-y may know of something

Scrub everything clean, let it dry, and use exterior quality silicone sealant.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Tom

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and info, I have seen (in
the dim and distant past) a similar system used on commercial "clearspan"
glasshouses, I thought there might be a cheap source of the plastic
channeling.
Much obliged
Tom

FA: Brushcutter and Blower attachment, Coke Bottle openers, Door/Window Foam and rubber seals + More How do u what Australia 0 19-06-2006 02:30 PM
CANADA'S SHAME - Many seals are skinned whilst still conscious Bas United Kingdom 66 18-04-2004 05:53 AM
Glass clips for Minibrite aluminium greenhouse? Bjarne Christensen United Kingdom 2 26-02-2003 07:21 PM
Old aluminium roof under pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 4 29-01-2003 08:03 PM
Old aluminium roof on top of pond liner,good idea or not? please advise John Ponds 2 28-01-2003 06:00 PM