GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question about Persimmon Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107866-question-about-persimmon-trees.html)

Dwayne 10-10-2005 01:56 AM

I used to live in Arkansas and we had to wait until after the first frost
before we could eat persimmons (the taste wasn't that great). I didn't like
them, so the possums and raccoons got them. I do know that some people make
jelly and preserves out of them, and I bet they could be canned. Ask your
neighbors how they use them.

Dwayne

"cigi" wrote in message
delurk

Hello Everyone

As this is my first question I think it would be polite if I
introduced myself.

I'm an expat Yorkshireman now living in the far North East of
Oklahoma. I'm very new to gardening having moved from a window box
type of environment to an acre plot. Methinks I'd better start
learning.
I constructed myself a raised vegetable plot and somehow managed to
grow a bumper crop of tomatoes and a few bell peppers this year so
maybe I'm a natural not
I'm now in the middle of constructing a compost box having visited
your FAQ's and getting some ideas about how to go about it.

Anyroad, so................

In my garden I have a Persimmon tree, well three actually, It's like
three trees all growing together. Three trunks, one big canopy....

http://tinyurl.com/9lknl

...and they are loaded with 1 inch to 1.5 inch diameter fruit which
are now ripening. I've nibbled a couple and they are quite nice. A
little like dates is the nearest that I can describe the taste. The
ripest are a dark orangy brown colour with a wrinkley skin. Inside
they have quite large seeds.

So, the question is ...... what can I do with them?
Although small, it seems a waste to leave them all to the birds.

Cigi.
--
Keep the promises you make to yourself.