GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   virginia creeper thru trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107938-virginia-creeper-thru-trees.html)

H Ryder 12-10-2005 02:25 PM

virginia creeper thru trees

My garden seems devoid of red autumn colour. Woudl there be any problem with
growing a Virginia creeper through various trees (bird cherry and plum) and
a hawthorn/mixed hedge? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Charlie Pridham 12-10-2005 04:17 PM

"H Ryder" wrote in message
My garden seems devoid of red autumn colour. Woudl there be any problem

with
growing a Virginia creeper through various trees (bird cherry and plum)

and
a hawthorn/mixed hedge? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

None at all, the best for the Job would be either Parthenocisssus
quinqefolia (true Virginia creeper) or in your neck of the woods
Parthenocissus henryana is a lovely plant.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Lawrence Milbourn 12-10-2005 07:55 PM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"H Ryder" wrote in message
My garden seems devoid of red autumn colour. Woudl there be any problem

with
growing a Virginia creeper through various trees (bird cherry and plum)

and
a hawthorn/mixed hedge? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

None at all, the best for the Job would be either Parthenocisssus
quinqefolia (true Virginia creeper) or in your neck of the woods
Parthenocissus henryana is a lovely plant.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I have a big conifer which has died off on the north side. I took a
Virginia Creeper cutting from my daughter's plant and planted it at the base
of the tree on the north side. The tree now has beautiful foliage where it
was originally dead. it has just started turning this week and looks
fantastic.

Go for it.

Lawrence (just outside Nottingham)