Old 13-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Ann Heanes

Don't kill them. Use a besom brush & brush the worm casts away but don't
kill the worms, please.
GrannieAnnie
"motorhomes4sale" wrote in
message ...

Mab Wrote:
personally I'm a big fan of common garden worms and wouldn't want to
kill them.

Im not a fan so how should I kill them

--
motorhomes4sale

Old 13-10-2005, 09:39 AM
JB

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:43:50 +0000, motorhomes4sale
wrote:

What product can I buy to kill the worms in my lawn ?

I have a lovely lawn but this time of year I get a big problem with
worm casts.

Best product to buy would be an inner city flat with no garden!

If you don't like worms then don't have a garden. If you like gardens
then worms are a benefit.

Old 13-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Lyle

motorhomes4sale wrote:
Mab Wrote:
personally I'm a big fan of common garden worms and wouldn't want

kill them.

Im not a fan so how should I kill them

Maybe it's worth explaining a bit here, mh4s; though I don't know if
uk.rec.gardening messages all get through to GardenBanter.

People often think of soil as just "stuff"; but in fact it's a
complex biological _system_. If we take out one of the parts of the
system, it won't work properly. Earthworms work for the lawn by
eating dead grass blades, and by drilling millions of holes to
promote drainage and oxygenation -- if they aren't doing that, then
we may need to bring in aerating machinery.

They also tempt birds into the garden, which is good news, too.

It's usually easier to get out there with a witches' broom
occasionally than have the hassle of regularly spraying with a worm
killer, and hiring and operating an aerator every so often. Works
better, too.

Enjoy your lawn. If you still want to try to kill them off, the
garden centre should be able to offer something, though I know the
old-fashioned poisons are too dangerous to be sold any more.

--
Mike.

Old 13-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Registered User

How can I brush the worm cast off when this time of the year it is wet, in the summer months its no problem I can do that.
How do they control worms on on Golf course putting greens etc ?

My lawn is only about 15 square metres and I would like to keep it nice. If I can buy something to kill the worms and worm eggs then that will sort out my problem. I can aireate it with a fork so I dont need worms. I am happy for them to live under any ones lawn but not mine.
Old 13-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomes4sale
How can I brush the worm cast off when this time of the year it is wet, in the summer months its no problem I can do that.
How do they control worms on on Golf course putting greens etc ?

My lawn is only about 15 square metres and I would like to keep it nice. If I can buy something to kill the worms and worm eggs then that will sort out my problem. I can aireate it with a fork so I dont need worms. I am happy for them to live under any ones lawn but not mine.
If any you worm fans want any of my worms you can have them for free but you must collect.

Old 13-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Paul D.Smith

To put it in differently, without the worms your lawn will compact and then
start to hold water. Moss will move in and the grass will die. Your
beautiful lawn will look like a patch of dying mud, which is what it will
be.

Leave the worms alone and if the casts offend you, buy a lawn broom and
spread them around. Failing that the best solution is to give up on the
lawn altogether because without worms it won't be worth the trouble.

Paul DS.

Old 13-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D.Smith
To put it in differently, without the worms your lawn will compact and then
start to hold water. Moss will move in and the grass will die. Your
beautiful lawn will look like a patch of dying mud, which is what it will
be.

Leave the worms alone and if the casts offend you, buy a lawn broom and
spread them around. Failing that the best solution is to give up on the
lawn altogether because without worms it won't be worth the trouble.

Paul DS.
so how do the sports managers keeps bowling greens looking great without worms ?
Old 13-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Alan Holmes

Default how do I kill worms in my lawn

"motorhomes4sale" wrote in
message ...

Mab Wrote:
personally I'm a big fan of common garden worms and wouldn't want to
kill them.

Im not a fan so how should I kill them

Lie down on the bed, put a plastic bag over your head, tie it round your
neck, go to sleep!

Alan

--
motorhomes4sale

Old 13-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered User

Talking

Might be better to put the worms in the bag !

Does anyone know if you can still buy Carbaryl, I believe this is the stuff I need to kill them.
Old 13-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered User

I think you guys have got me all wrong. I dont want to be a serial worm killer, I just want to get rid of the ones in my nice lawn. I dont mind a few living in my flower borders, there nice worms. I do understand that worms have there use, like bait for fishing.

Old 13-10-2005, 07:32 PM
gentlegreen

"motorhomes4sale" wrote in
message ...

Paul D.Smith Wrote:
To put it in differently, without the worms your lawn will compact and
then
start to hold water. Moss will move in and the grass will die. Your
beautiful lawn will look like a patch of dying mud, which is what it
will
be.

Leave the worms alone and if the casts offend you, buy a lawn broom
and
spread them around. Failing that the best solution is to give up on
the
lawn altogether because without worms it won't be worth the trouble.

Paul DS.

so how do the sports managers keeps bowling greens looking great
without worms ?

With a lot of preparation and effort :-

I found this :-

http://www.valebowlingclub.co.uk/bow...aintenance.htm

I'd guess you could apply some of the techniques and approach the effect you
want without slaughtering the gardener's best friend (allowing the worms to
do some of the work)
If you really want purely ornamental rather than useable lawn you'd probably
want to start by re-laying it and choosing finer, slow growing grass
varieties.

Personally I prefer my grasses 2 inches in diameter and 15 feet tall :-)

Old 13-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"motorhomes4sale" wrote in
message ...

Paul D.Smith Wrote:
To put it in differently, without the worms your lawn will compact and
then
start to hold water. Moss will move in and the grass will die. Your
beautiful lawn will look like a patch of dying mud, which is what it
will
be.

Leave the worms alone and if the casts offend you, buy a lawn broom
and
spread them around. Failing that the best solution is to give up on
the
lawn altogether because without worms it won't be worth the trouble.

Paul DS.

so how do the sports managers keeps bowling greens looking great
without worms ?

easy peasy, by spending a fortune and a lot of time, on aeration, chemicals,
reseeding, etc.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 13-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Worthing, England

Hi

Just think of using a witches broom and exercise on the lawn, what a figure you will have as you sweep away those worm casts..Those worms will wriggle and twist away from you.
Old 13-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Sacha

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:03:29 +0000, motorhomes4sale
wrote:

snip
I do understand
that worms have there use, like bait for fishing.

QED, ladies and gentlemen.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk