GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   potted basil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/107955-potted-basil.html)

sst28 12-10-2005 09:56 PM

potted basil

hi,

my potted basil plant from sainsbury's has started to wilt at the top!! the
new leaves seem to grow out all crinkly and soft.....

any thoughts on what's going on?? and how to save it?

thanks..

ss

JennyC 13-10-2005 08:06 AM

"sst28" wrote in message
hi,

my potted basil plant from sainsbury's has started to wilt at the top!! the
new leaves seem to grow out all crinkly and soft.....
any thoughts on what's going on?? and how to save it?
thanks..

ss

Too cold maybe?
They HATE cold !
Is it outside?
If so bring it indoors.
Jenny

Pete 13-10-2005 12:32 PM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:56:50 +0100, "sst28" wrote:

hi,

my potted basil plant from sainsbury's has started to wilt at the top!! the
new leaves seem to grow out all crinkly and soft.....

any thoughts on what's going on?? and how to save it?

thanks..

ss

Bear in mind that basil is an annual plant that thrives in areas
around the med.
The plant is following its natural cycle and as autumn is now upon us,
the plant has come to the end of its natural life.......
You may be able to keep it going a while longer if you can extend the
'day' by providing artificial light, but ordinary light bulbs will not
do the job.

I'd suggest picking all the leaves and making pesto or whatever and
freezing it.

I got some unnamed basil plants from a local nursery. They are about
1' high have very small leaves and a VERY strong taste/smell, quite a
bit of heat and an aniseed taste. It's more like a tall thyme plant in
habit.
I wish I could find out what variety it is, as i'd like to grow it
again.

Good luck
Pete

Richard Brooks 13-10-2005 12:46 PM

sst28 wrote:
hi,

my potted basil plant from sainsbury's has started to wilt at the top!! the
new leaves seem to grow out all crinkly and soft.....

any thoughts on what's going on?? and how to save it?

thanks..

ss

It's a mediterranean plant so need it a bit warmer. I've had annuals
grow for at least three years just by bringing them in.

Richard.