Old 13-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Patrick E. King

Default Getting rid of Wasps Nests

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.
TIA
Patrick

Old 13-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Jupiter

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:50:46 +0100, "Patrick E. King"
wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.
TIA
Patrick

Best to find the nest and use one of those long distance sprays on it.
I had a monster nest in my garage up behind the up and over door. I
had to go inside, close the door, stand right at the back of the
garage and shoot at it from there. Worked a treat and I only got
stung once by a groggy wasp that got inside my shoe!

Old 13-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.

I also have a wasps nest in my attic.
My local council wanted £52 to deal with it. I only discovered it a
few weeks ago. The Council guy pointed out to me that the nest had
obviously been there all summer. He said that soon the workers would
die and that the queen will fly away and hibernate and that they never
return to the same nest.
I my loft I can see a ghostly white shape, like a paper lamp-shade. I
was told there is a spray but I would need to go up a ladder to do so.
No Way!
I am finding quite a few very dopey wasps in the house (don't know how
they get in as I am keeping windows shut on that side of the house.
What we need I think is a few cold nights. So far I've only had one
sting, on picking up a pot in the garden with a sleepy wasp on it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-10-2005, 09:08 AM

Patrick E. King wrote:
Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.

It'll be unoccupied soon, wait until December and just remove it,
there won't be any (live) wasps in it then.

--
Chris Green

Old 13-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Martin Brown

Patrick E. King wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.

At this time of year it isn't worth the effort, unless they are becoming
a nuisance by entering your living space.

It appears they have a nest in the attic.

Live and let live. They will go away pretty soon now.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 13-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Geoff

It'll be unoccupied soon, wait until December and just remove it,
there won't be any (live) wasps in it then.

--
Chris Green

It's nice to see a green reply. Leave them alone, they do a lot of useful
work in the garden. I've seen wasps taking aphids off plants and they
dispose of lots of other dead bodies.

Geoff

Old 13-10-2005, 10:37 AM
cineman

wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
SNIP

I also have a wasps nest in my attic.
My local council wanted £52 to deal with it. I only discovered it a
few weeks ago. The Council guy pointed out to me that the nest had
obviously been there all summer. He said that soon the workers would
die and that the queen will fly away and hibernate and that they never
return to the same nest.

SNIP

Hi,
They will come back to old nests, I had wasp nest in the attic, right under
the eaves, left it alone (and promptly forgot about it), as they leave nest
at end of year, that was two years ago, this year they return and added an
extension on it, cant see if they have built a conservatory as well tho. LOL
They are getting sluggish now so will leave until later in year and this
time will remove it and try and seal holes in facia board.

regards
Cineman

Old 13-10-2005, 10:49 AM
BAC

"Patrick E. King" wrote in message
Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.

It's probably not worth doing anything about it now, because winter should
soon do the job for you. However, it might be a good idea to watch and
locate the wasp's access points to the roof space, if they're still active.

Then, towards the end of winter by which time the nest should be abandoned,
get someone to go up in the roof space, locate it and remove it. You can
then block off the access points, to reduce the risk of future
colonisations, (if they've set up shop behind some rotten timber fascia or
soffit, you should remove and replace the rotting timber) and perhaps
fumigate (very carefully!) the roof space to kill off any hibernating queen
wasps up there.

If you absolutely have to get rid of an active wasp's nest, in an awkward
location, on safety grounds, I'd recommend you call in a professional.

Old 13-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Mab Mab is offline
Registered User

Location: Kingston Upon Hull

IMHO getting the council to do it is the better option, better than getting stung into the middle of next week anyway bit expensive but a damn sight safer and they'll come back for free if it's not cleared.

Old 13-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Patrick E. King" contains these words:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.
It appears they have a nest in the attic.
I can't actually see the nest but every time I spray up some wasp killer
there are a few dead ones lying on the attic floor next morning.
I know my question is not directly gardening related but I hope the garden
experts in here will have some advice as I'm sure it must be a common
problem for them also.

I wouldn't worry about them, the nest will be finished in a few weeks.
Nearly all the new queens will have all gone and found somewhere to
hibernate, and it's probaly these you're killing with your flyspray.

The nest isn't used from one year to the next.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Patrick E. King

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Patrick E. King wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.

At this time of year it isn't worth the effort, unless they are becoming a
nuisance by entering your living space.

It appears they have a nest in the attic.

Live and let live. They will go away pretty soon now.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I'd love to live and let live. Believe me I take absolutely no pleasure in
killing them but I have to live with *her indoors* and she needs regular
access to the loft!
Patrick

Old 13-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "cineman" contains these words:

They will come back to old nests, I had wasp nest in the attic, right under
the eaves, left it alone (and promptly forgot about it), as they
leave nest
at end of year, that was two years ago, this year they return and
added an
extension on it, cant see if they have built a conservatory as well tho. LOL
They are getting sluggish now so will leave until later in year and this
time will remove it and try and seal holes in facia board.

They might build next to it (and maybe re-use some of the material) but
I've never heard of them recolonising an old nest.

Old 13-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Patrick E. King wrote:

Anybody got recommendations on getting rid of wasps.

At this time of year it isn't worth the effort, unless they are
becoming a
nuisance by entering your living space.

It appears they have a nest in the attic.

Live and let live. They will go away pretty soon now.

I'd love to live and let live. Believe me I take absolutely no pleasure in
killing them but I have to live with *her indoors* and she needs regular
access to the loft!
Patrick

How come you've (she's) only just noticed it then?

Old 13-10-2005, 04:03 PM
JB

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:22:48 +0000, Mab
wrote:

IMHO getting the council to do it is the better option, better than
getting stung into the middle of next week anyway bit expensive but a
damn sight safer and they'll come back for free if it's not cleared.

IME its better to do it yourself but with the following proviso. Early
in the year periodically check for small wasps nests and deal with
them before they get too large. If they're not in the way leave them
where they are, generally wasps are useful (if annoying). At this time
of year unless it is causing an immediate problem I'd wait until the
nest appears to be deserted and then remove the empty nest simply
because it makes it easier to keep an eye on new nest development next
year.