Old 14-10-2005, 10:16 PM
80/20

Default Canna question

An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

Before you get on to me about being cruel to it I feel I must point out that
it is well feed and watered and every year it gets a top dressing of fresh
compost.

Cheers
Steve

Old 14-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Sacha

On 14/10/05 22:16, in article , "80/20"
wrote:

An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

snip

If there's a chance of frost, then certainly, bring it indoors. But I can't
say I know of the potbound rule. The ones we have here flower freely both
in borders and in pots.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Bertie Doe

.uk...
wrote:

An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions
that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a
flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

snip

If there's a chance of frost, then certainly, bring it indoors. But I
can't
say I know of the potbound rule. The ones we have here flower freely both
in borders and in pots.
--
Sacha

That's a canny answer.

Old 14-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote ...
An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions
that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a
flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

snip

If there's a chance of frost, then certainly, bring it indoors. But I
can't
say I know of the potbound rule. The ones we have here flower freely both
in borders and in pots.

My experience is that the roots will break the pot if it gets pot bound.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 15-10-2005, 09:39 AM
JennyC

"80/20" wrote in message
An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

Before you get on to me about being cruel to it I feel I must point out that
it is well feed and watered and every year it gets a top dressing of fresh
compost.

Cheers
Steve

How strange it's never flowered!

I'd bring it in till it's finished flowering
Then let it die down somewhere cool (but frost free)
Cut off the dead material
Leave in a cool place over the winter
Take it out of it's pot in early spring - before it starts to sprout
Break of the healthy looking outer bits and discard the 'middle' (this is
probably worn out)
Re-pot in fresh compost
Bring into a warmer environment (GH or conservatory)
Put out when frost danger is over, in a SUNNY location
FEED
wait................. should flower :~))

Jenny

Old 15-10-2005, 10:26 AM
compo

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Put out when frost danger is over, in a SUNNY location
FEED
wait................. should flower :~))

Jenny

I have to say that I am no expert on Canna...but, I had them growing in
my garden in Ethiopia where they enjoyed a woodland environment with a
little dappled sunshine at times. They flowered throughout most of the
year. I wonder if they are tolerant of both sun and shade, open and
wooded borders? Perhaps they are not as delicate as we might think. I
have been advised to dead-head my first year flowers and allow to die
down etc.. I will of course follow this advice and should enough survive
the winter will locate them in different places to see what like.

--
Cheers,
Compo
Old 15-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Martin Brown

80/20 wrote:

An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions that
it likes to be pot bound.

I have never tried growing them in pots for any length of time. Largely
because in vigorous growth the tubers fill it to bursting point and then
it has to be cut out of the plastic pot.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

Frost will kill the flower spike. I'd bring it in now.

Before you get on to me about being cruel to it I feel I must point out that
it is well feed and watered and every year it gets a top dressing of fresh
compost.

It must be in a huge pot. Mine were bedded out and some of the tubers
get big enough to be a real handful when digging the up again.

I suspect we may have had a breif ground frost here N York yesterady
morning. It was certainly more than a bit chilly early on.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 07-11-2005, 12:21 PM
80/20

"80/20" wrote in message
An ex-neighbour gave me a Canna about 4 years ago with the instructions

that
it likes to be pot bound.

Well it hasn't flowered since, BUT today it has started to send out a

flower
bud. I'm in rural Worcestershire and I'm sure that it will catch a cold
shortly. I've considered bringing it into the conservatory until it's
flowered - what say you?

Before you get on to me about being cruel to it I feel I must point out

that
it is well feed and watered and every year it gets a top dressing of fresh
compost.

Cheers
Steve

UPDATE,
Cannas brought into conservatory and is now flowering beautifully.

Thanks everyone,
Steve

Canna Question Nanzi Gardening 3 15-04-2012 05:54 PM
Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna question Nanceemo Ponds 1 24-10-2003 01:12 AM
Canna and Bronze/Burgundy Foliage Question Bob H Gardening 1 26-05-2003 02:20 PM
Canna Tropicanna question(s) tom Gardening 1 08-02-2003 02:06 AM