Old 15-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Janet Galpin

Default What to do with shreddings

I have just generated a few sackfuls of ivy shreddings. It's good stuff
- a nice mixture of woody and leafy, and quite fine. I would normally
simply add the shreddings to my compost heap.

However, I'm wondering whether to put them straight onto some vegetable
beds and cover with black polythene in the hope that they will be
reasonably well rotted down by springtime. I'm just a bit concerned that
in rotting they will deplete the soil of nitrogen, or is that just a
temporary effect when they're very fresh?

Janet G
Old 15-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I have just generated a few sackfuls of ivy shreddings. It's good stuff
- a nice mixture of woody and leafy, and quite fine. I would normally
simply add the shreddings to my compost heap.

However, I'm wondering whether to put them straight onto some vegetable
beds and cover with black polythene in the hope that they will be
reasonably well rotted down by springtime. I'm just a bit concerned that
in rotting they will deplete the soil of nitrogen, or is that just a
temporary effect when they're very fresh?

I woould leave them in the sacks, assuming they are polythene sacks.

Alan

Janet G

Old 15-10-2005, 08:32 PM
cineman

Rot down first otherwise the ivy could very well root and "Bingo" perfect
ground cover. Try tying in black polythene sacks for a month or so to start
the breakdown process. poke a few small holes for drainage.
regards
Cineman

Old 16-10-2005, 12:07 AM
Janet Galpin

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I have just generated a few sackfuls of ivy shreddings. It's good stuff
- a nice mixture of woody and leafy, and quite fine. I would normally
simply add the shreddings to my compost heap.

However, I'm wondering whether to put them straight onto some vegetable
beds and cover with black polythene in the hope that they will be
reasonably well rotted down by springtime. I'm just a bit concerned that
in rotting they will deplete the soil of nitrogen, or is that just a
temporary effect when they're very fresh?

Janet G

The message
from "cineman" contains these words:

Rot down first otherwise the ivy could very well root and "Bingo" perfect
ground cover. Try tying in black polythene sacks for a month or so to start
the breakdown process. poke a few small holes for drainage.
regards
Cineman

The ivy is quite finely shredded. I wouldn't have thought it could root
from shreddings. I was hoping that covering with black polythene would
create the same kind of conditions as keeping them in black polythene
sacks.

Janet G
Old 16-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:38:20 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

I have just generated a few sackfuls of ivy shreddings. It's good stuff
- a nice mixture of woody and leafy, and quite fine. I would normally
simply add the shreddings to my compost heap.

However, I'm wondering whether to put them straight onto some vegetable
beds and cover with black polythene in the hope that they will be
reasonably well rotted down by springtime. I'm just a bit concerned that
in rotting they will deplete the soil of nitrogen, or is that just a
temporary effect when they're very fresh?

Janet G

AIUI fresh shreddings etc do deplete the soil of nitrogen initially as
bacteria rot them down, but when the bacteria die that nitrogen
becomes available again. It's not permanently locked up.

--
Chris

Old 16-10-2005, 09:14 AM
nambucca

AIUI fresh shreddings etc do deplete the soil of nitrogen initially as
bacteria rot them down, but when the bacteria die that nitrogen
becomes available again. It's not permanently locked up.

--

Its much much better to add the shreddings to your compost bin that way you
get a good mix of nutrients

Old 16-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

AIUI fresh shreddings etc do deplete the soil of nitrogen initially as
bacteria rot them down, but when the bacteria die that nitrogen
becomes available again. It's not permanently locked up.

--

Its much much better to add the shreddings to your compost bin that way you
get a good mix of nutrients

I understand that, in a perfect world and with more time at my disposal,
this would be the best thing to do. At the moment, however, until I
retire etc, I could do with one or two short-cuts.
Another advantage of putting the ivy shreddings straight onto the beds
is that they should be weed-free whereas the same doesn't apply to my
compost heap. I'm really wanting to know whether I'm creating any
problems for myself in the spring, i.e. that there will be no benefit at
all or even that I might have reduced fertility.
If there is *some* benefit, given the ease of the procedure, then that
will make it worth my while.

Thanks
Janet G
Old 16-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Charlie Pridham

[...]

I always put mine straight on, shredded ivy wont root, but beware if there
were any seed heads, made that mistake one year and had a wonderful crop of
ivy seedlings (the blackbirds really don't need any help with that job!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Galpin
writes
[...]

If it were me, I would put it straight on to the beds. Any reduction in
fertility will be short lived (and I must admit I've never noticed a
problem although others claim to have), long term benefit will be large.

I haven't used shredded ivy as a mulch, but I do use shreddings and
partially rotted compost, and it makes a huge difference to the
consistency of the soil.
--
Kay Start every day with a smile and get it over with
WC Fields

Old 16-10-2005, 09:30 PM
cineman

My advice would be not to put ivy shreddings straight onto your bed as even
a small piece of stem can throw off roots , and as i said before you would
have the perfect groundcover. Keep in black plastic bags under a bush or
hedge for a few weeks just to start the rotting process.

regards
Cineman

Old 17-10-2005, 11:58 AM
La puce

cineman wrote:
My advice would be not to put ivy shreddings straight onto your bed as even
a small piece of stem can throw off roots , and as i said before you would
have the perfect groundcover. Keep in black plastic bags under a bush or
hedge for a few weeks just to start the rotting process.

What about holly?! I'm having my holly tree professionaly pruned. I was
offered the shreddings as they bring a machine with them. I accepted
thinking it would be a fabulous mulch but now I'm wondering if it's not
too acid? Maybe only for the paths ... but even though, am I making a
mistake?

Old 17-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Kay

In article .com, La
puce writes

cineman wrote:
My advice would be not to put ivy shreddings straight onto your bed as even
a small piece of stem can throw off roots , and as i said before you would
have the perfect groundcover. Keep in black plastic bags under a bush or
hedge for a few weeks just to start the rotting process.

What about holly?! I'm having my holly tree professionaly pruned. I was
offered the shreddings as they bring a machine with them. I accepted
thinking it would be a fabulous mulch but now I'm wondering if it's not
too acid? Maybe only for the paths ... but even though, am I making a
mistake?

Please can someone with botanical and chemical knowledge explain this
thing about leaves being acid? I know that peat bogs are acid, but could
someone please explain the process by which pine needles. holly etc
render the soil acid?
--
Kay

Old 17-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Kay" wrote in message
In article .com, La
puce writes

cineman wrote:
[...]

I do not think they make the soil acid, (I thought all soils are acid unless
there is some limestone or chalk around to make them alkaline, so soils on
volcanic islands would be acid and counties like Cornwall are largely acid
due to lack of limestone or chalk) but rather if you create soil humus with
vegetable matter it is bound to be acid, so if you dilute your soil with it,
the effect is of lowering ph. I would have thought on strongly alkaline
soils the effect would be small but it may tip the balance on neutral soils.
I too shall be interested in the deliberations of the more scientific among
us. But I do know that attempting to lower ph on alkaline soils in order to
grow say Rhodos is pretty much a waste of time and effort so making soil
acid must be quite hard.

Old 17-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article .com, La
puce writes

cineman wrote:
[...]

Why is it 'bound' to be acid? Does the vegetable matter start off acid,
or is it the process of decomposition which makes it so, and if so, what
is the chemical process? There's a big gap in my knowledge here!

--
Kay

Old 17-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article .com,

La
puce writes

cineman wrote:
[...]

It's yer nitrogen balance, innit, missis? Yer plant, nah, that's like
all nitrogen and yer long-chain molecules an 'at. Yer calcium
compahns, onneuvverand, what is what achieves yer Swiss-style
neutrality, are fahnd in trivial quantities in yer average vegetable
material; an what there is, is leached aht by yer rainfall. Take it
from me, lady: you leave that stuff lyin abaht, you'll ave a bloomin
peat-bog before you can say "Paddy Murphy".

--
Mike.

Use shreddings to fill cracks in clay? French_Fry United Kingdom 8 21-10-2016 03:53 PM
Leylandii Shreddings 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 10 05-10-2011 07:46 AM
Ivy shreddings Mike United Kingdom 7 14-04-2006 09:25 AM
shreddings H Ryder United Kingdom 7 23-07-2005 09:09 AM
Shreddings Snowman United Kingdom 9 31-07-2003 05:33 PM