Old 20-10-2005, 04:20 PM
john Smith

Default Problem:- Thuja Plicata Atrovirens

Hello,

I have a hedge made up of 20 Thuja Plicata Atrovirens which was planted
about 2 1/2 years ago.

I have notice over the past month the foliage/leaves are starting to go
brown on 1/2 of them.

Do I have a disease, or something else.

If I have is it curable or have I lost the hedge.

Ant help would be gladly appreciated

Thanks

Old 20-10-2005, 04:23 PM
john Smith

I have just read the posts about pruning.

I did lop the tops off them all as I was trying to "stunt" them. I cut off
no more than 6 inches and definitely did not go into the brown wood

Old 20-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Sacha

On 20/10/05 16:20, in article , "john
Smith" wrote:

Hello,

I have a hedge made up of 20 Thuja Plicata Atrovirens which was planted
about 2 1/2 years ago.

I have notice over the past month the foliage/leaves are starting to go
brown on 1/2 of them.

Do I have a disease, or something else.

If I have is it curable or have I lost the hedge.

Ant help would be gladly appreciated

I'm wondering if it's just lack of water in the long, dry spells or whether
you have checked closely for red spider mite? Certainly, new hedges need
watering in dry weather.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-10-2005, 11:06 PM
john Smith

Thanks for the quick reply

I can appreciate the water problem, as during the summer there wasn't much
rain in manchester

i know that maybe hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although since the beginning of september I think we may have our fair
share.

If they are dehydrated will they recover?

I have just done a quick check on "red spider mite". It appears that as we
come up to winter that, if I do have them, then they should

disappear with the cold/damp weather.

Any more advice will be gladly appreciated

But since the beginning of september I think we have had our fair share
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 20/10/05 16:20, in article ,

Old 21-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Sacha

On 20/10/05 11:06 pm, in article ,
"john Smith" wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply

I can appreciate the water problem, as during the summer there wasn't much
rain in manchester

i know that maybe hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although since the beginning of september I think we may have our fair
share.

If they are dehydrated will they recover?

As long as they get water they should recover, from what I can gather (I'm
no expert on this!) We have a couple of very old trees of this type and
one, in particular, always looks horribly tatty at this time of year and
always recovers.
snip
I wouldn't be too sure that winter will deal with the red spider mite - or
not over-confident, anyway. In the past, I have planted these and had
repeated infestations of red spider mite which eventually killed very young
trees. Maybe I was just unlucky but I would keep an eye out for them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-10-2005, 01:32 PM
john Smith

thanks for the advice

hopefully it will not be raining tomorrow. I will go and have a look and see
waht I can find.

I am assuming there are visible to the naked eye?

Old 21-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Sacha

On 21/10/05 13:32, in article ,
"john Smith" wrote:

thanks for the advice

hopefully it will not be raining tomorrow. I will go and have a look and see
waht I can find.

I am assuming there are visible to the naked eye?

They are indeed visible but they are very, very small. Do a Google search
for more info and if you have a magnifying glass, use it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk