Old 23-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Jim

Default Honey fungus?

Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

--
Jim
Old 23-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Emrys Davies

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

--
Jim

This site
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techni...ney_fungus.htm
should help you identify it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Kay

In article , Jim
writes
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

You've got at least two different species there, haven't you?

It would help if we could have a pic of the underside too. Gill colour
and the way it attaches to the stem is important.
--
Kay

Old 23-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Emrys Davies

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
Can any expert tell me if this is honey fungus?...
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

I can find no trace of the black bootlaces that I've read about.

If it is nasty - how can I stop it spreading?

Jim, Honey fungus is reputed to glow in the dark as per this article:

"Does Honey Fungus Glow in the dark?
Astonishingly yes it does!

Aristotle wrote about this
In medieval times they lit hay barns with clusters of rhizomorphs and
roots covered with rhizomorphs were considered to have medical power.
These were the original magic wands.
Soldiers in World War 1 put pieces of decaying wood on their helmets;
the glow helped them avoid comrades in nighttime trenches.
In World War 2 fire wardens covered timber stacks to prevent enemy
aircraft spotting them.
Keeping the wood moist (but not saturated) and at a temperature of
between 10 and 25 degrees C will maximise light output".

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jim contains these words:

I've also uploaded some pix of the undersides - does it help you
identify it?
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2023956

Yes, honey fungus.

The young caps are good pickled, or cooked like you'd cook mushrooms.
Larger caps can be chopped and added to dishes, but by themselves are a
bit bland and not altogether a pleasant consistency.

Older caps and some of the younger stipes can be dried and powdered (in
a liquidiser) and the powder added to flavor and thicken stews,
casseroles, savoury pancakes, omlettes, etc.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Are they all honey fungus? The ones in the grass look to have thinner
caps.

All the ones I looked at were.

Once you've seen and handled and smelt them you'll always know them.
There are two forms of Armillaria mellea: one is chunkier than the
other.

There's not much you can confuse it with, except perhaps Galerina
mutabilis - and that's a much better mushroom from the culinary point of
view, and I expect many trees would think so too, but for different
reasons...

Old 24-10-2005, 10:49 AM
gentlegreen

"Jim" wrote in message
m...
In article , says...
should help you identify it.

Thanks Emrys - I've read many sites but none has enabled me to identify
the fungus with any confidence.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...k~bid~5569.asp

--
Jim

Old 24-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jim contains these words:

My thinking was that removing it would at least stop it spreading spores
and might weaken it? Would I be wasting my time?

Yes.

It'll stop it from spreading spores just as well if you cook the fruit
bodies. (or otherwise destroy them, but, what a waste!)