Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Ian Cundell

Default 1st season tree watering

I planted two container grow silver birches (a multi-stem, 15 ft or so B
Pendula and a 6ft or so Snow Queen) last September.

Both a currently dormant (as are all the many many birches in the area,
St Albans) but I assume they will start moving in the not too distant
future.

I note that it seems to have been dry in the first quarter of the year.
My garden is less of a bog than it usually is around now. The soil is
stoney clay glacial outwash. We are getting mild nightly frosts at the
moment.

I read words to the effect of 'water thoroughly once a week in the first
growing season' in various sources.

So:

1) How much is thoroughly (in minutes with the hosepipe, per week)

2) When do I start doing this?

3) Oh, And when do I hit them with bonemeal?

I'm wary of drowning them because I have no real idea how wet the soil
down below is. But, obviously, I don't want to dessicate 'em!

--
Cut IT out to reply by email
Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'Ian',

'How many minutes with a hosepipe' is not relevant when
considering when or how to water trees or plants.

The idea is to keep the roots moist and prevent them from drying out.

If you have a period of wet weather you do not need to water at all
providing the rain is heavy enough to penetrate the ground to the
required depth.

If it is extremely hot it would be best to water your trees twice a
week, fairly late in the evening. A gallon or so per tree should
suffice providing you trickle the water in slowly, otherwise it will
simply run away and get lost.
Dampening the foliage will also be advantageous.

If you want to go to the extreme in order to learn how damp you soil is,
press a small stake into the ground quite near to one of the trees to an
appropriate depth When you remove the stake you will be able to detect
from its state of dampness the degree of moisture which is present at
that particular time.

If you are going to use bonemeal I would apply it in the spring making
sure that it does not come into direct contact with the roots.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Ian Cundell

In article ,
" Emrys Davies" wrote:

'Ian',

'How many minutes with a hosepipe' is not relevant when
considering when or how to water trees or plants.

Yeah I was being a little facetious, 'cos very few sources seem to talk
quantities.

The idea is to keep the roots moist and prevent them from drying out.

snip

A gallon or so per tree should
suffice providing you trickle the water in slowly, otherwise it will
simply run away and get lost.

Both trees? The multi-stem B Pendula is a *lot* bigger than the Snow
Queen, so i would expect it to have a bigger appetite.

Dampening the foliage will also be advantageous.

Cheers for that.

Now, given that it has rained very little round here recently and the
soil is drier than usual (and it is still a little frosty) would you
recommend leaving the regime for a couple of weeks?

--
Cut IT out to reply by email
Old 18-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Emrys Davies

'Ian',

I totally agree with your suggestion provided that the soil containing
the roots of your trees is not dried out. Keep it moist.

Old 19-03-2003, 10:32 PM
gastropod

Often best to add bone meal at planting, so anytime once the buds are
cracking and the roots are working.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

Old 19-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"gastropod" wrote in message
news
Often best to add bone meal at planting, so anytime once the buds are
cracking and the roots are working.
Neil
www.conceptgardens.com

bonemeal is a long term fertilizer, only becoming available to the plants
when it is broken down, so I doubt it makes any difference.

pk