Old 24-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Rob Gibson

Default Decking Boards

Hi All,

I had the idea of using decking boards to make up some raised beds, but am
now having some doubts. I've read that as they are "tanalised" I might end
up poisoning myself due to the CCA treatment leaching into the soil.

Comments?

Regards,

Rob.

Old 24-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Rob Gibson wrote:
Hi All,

I had the idea of using decking boards to make up some raised beds,
but am now having some doubts. I've read that as they are

"tanalised"
I might end up poisoning myself due to the CCA treatment leaching
into the soil.

Comments?

I'd be surprised if anything untoward happened. I can't really
imagine large quantities of the stuff getting into the soil, and I'd
have thought still less of that would be taken up by the plants.
Subject as always to correction by the better-informed, I reckon if
it's all that water-soluble once dry, then it wouldn't be much use as
an outdoor wood preservative. You could always use the Rusty
technique of putting a polythene membrane on the insides, though:
then there'd be no need to consider the risk.

--
Mike.

Old 25-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Jollygreenp

Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
can leach out?

;-))

Old 25-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Jollygreenp" writes:

| Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
| can leach out?

I believe that they are fairly harmless, as it is widely used in
products intended for use with food. The residual monomers and
short-chain polymers are definitely so, as they are merely
hydrocarbons (polythese - poly-ethane). Bacteria eat them for
breakfast.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "Jollygreenp" contains these words:

Polythene - what about the plasticisers and the residual monomers that
can leach out?

;-))

Grobags?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 15-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Polyacetal(POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane (PU), Suppliers, K Resin (NSBC), Engineering Plastics, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile,Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), (ABS) Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, Nylon(PA 6, 66), Acrylic(PMMA), PVDF polyvinylidene fluoride, Suppliers, Manufacturer, Supplier, Shah Polymers in Bangalore, India.Polyacetal (POM), Polycarbonate, Polyurethane PU, K Resin (NSBC), Engineering Plastics, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, (SAN) Styrene Acrylonitrile, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA), Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), Nylon (PA 6, 66), Acrylic (PMMA), polyvinylidene fluoride suppliers, Shah Polymers, Manufacturers, Bangalore, India.