GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner beans and Global warming (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108475-runner-beans-global-warming.html)

Geoff 26-10-2005 04:53 PM

Runner beans and Global warming

Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and my
wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound or so I
took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some which look
like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

Geoff

Broadback 26-10-2005 06:10 PM

Geoff wrote:
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and my
wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound or so I
took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some which look
like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

Geoff

Same here (North Staffordshire) a record for me. I was picking outside
toms until last week, when I took the plants down as they were tough
skinned, also still got courgettes

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-10-2005 06:22 PM

Runner beans and Global warming

The message
from "Geoff" contains these words:

Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and my
wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound or so I
took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some
which look
like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

A cold night will sort them out, but since none is forecast for the
foreseeable future, just keep on picking...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

shazzbat 26-10-2005 07:18 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and
my wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound or so
I took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some which
look like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

You will when there's a hard frost.

Steve

Janet Baraclough 26-10-2005 11:41 PM

Runner beans and Global warming

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and
my wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound
or so
I took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some which
look like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

You will when there's a hard frost.

Has anyone had frost yet? We haven't.

Janet (Arran)

shazzbat 27-10-2005 12:38 AM

"Broadback" wrote in message
Geoff wrote:
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year
and
my wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound
or so
I took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some
which
look like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

You will when there's a hard frost.

Has anyone had frost yet? We haven't.

We had a very slight touch about 3-4 weeks ago, just enough to curl up a few
of the outermost leaves on the sweet potatoes. Fortunately not enough to
spoil them, I hear from the American gardeners that frost turns them bitter.

It's surprising really, because we're only just North of Bournemouth. We had
this touch of frost at the allotment, but not at home, two miles away.

Steve

penance 27-10-2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff
Well, I've just picked what might be the last runner beans this year and my
wife is preparing them and she says they're OK. The other pound or so I
took to one of my neighbours who thinks they look good too.

Will I ever get to clear the plants away for there are still some which look
like they'll be ready to pick in a day or two?

Geoff

Same in Bristol, I was getting runner beans up to last weekend, when i took them down to make room for raised beds.
Still getting strawberries and the pumpkin plant is still flowering.

La puce 27-10-2005 01:32 PM

penance wrote:
Same in Bristol, I was getting runner beans up to last weekend, when i
took them down to make room for raised beds.
Still getting strawberries and the pumpkin plant is still flowering.

Ditto in Manchester. I wondered if I was the only one with continuous
strawberries! We had a really light touch of frost 3/4 weeks ago, but
nothing since. Today is amazing - it's really warm. On one hand we
ought to worry (or should we?), but I cannot help rejoycing of the
colours we're all getting from the trees.