GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Selection of fruit tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108501-selection-fruit-tree.html)

Mike 27-10-2005 09:39 AM

Selection of fruit tree

Wonder if we can get some guidance ..
We live in the South east and have a south west facing garden size about
60x30ft.
We were looking at planting 3 nos fruit trees- apple,pear,plums/cherry.

Need on guidance when and where and what variety to buy and the best place
you can suggest to buy from..
Many thanks
Mike

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-10-2005 11:03 AM

Selection of fruit tree

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Wonder if we can get some guidance ..
We live in the South east and have a south west facing garden size about
60x30ft.
We were looking at planting 3 nos fruit trees- apple,pear,plums/cherry.

Need on guidance when and where and what variety to buy and the best place
you can suggest to buy from..

That's rather an open-ended question - eating apple? Cooking apple? One
that does both? Do you want it to keep?

Pears are a matter of preference - what sort of pear do you like?

You'll grow a variety of plums in the South East, likewise cherries.
Again, some sort of preference would be handy. Personally, if I had the
room and were planting them, I'd have a Victoria plum and a morello
cherry, but then I preserve them and steep the morello cherries in
rum...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Mike 27-10-2005 02:08 PM

Selection of fruit tree

Thanks Rusty.
apples- would be eating apples,somebody mentioned braeburn apples
Victoria plums. Have no idea on the cherry, but would prefer a sweet variety
for eating purposes.

The main point would be
Which type of plant to buy... I mean rootstock...
Also where would be a good place to buy from.
And is this the right time to buy...

Mike

k...

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-10-2005 03:57 PM

Selection of fruit tree

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty.
apples- would be eating apples,somebody mentioned braeburn apples
Victoria plums. Have no idea on the cherry, but would prefer a sweet
variety
for eating purposes.

The main point would be
Which type of plant to buy... I mean rootstock...
Also where would be a good place to buy from.
And is this the right time to buy...

If you look in Google, there's recently been a thread on apples - I
could send you what hasn't autoexpired...

Victorias tend to crop well - sometimes heavily, but not every year.
Stella is a reliable 'white' cherry. (I like morellos as an eating
cherry too - but it's a trifle tart.)

Decide on what you want to do - variety; type; dwarf; tree, cordon, etc,
then try Ken Muir.

Anthony Anson 27-10-2005 07:49 PM

Selection of fruit tree

The message
from Kay contains these words:

If you are looking at a total of three trees, be aware that both pears
and apples do not pollinate their own fruit and therefore need a second
tree to pollinate (one that is flowering at the same time). So either 2
apples and 2 pears, or look a 'family trees' where more than one variety
is grafted on the same tree - that will restrict your choice of
varieties.

That's presuming there isn't another suitable apple or pear tree nearby.

--
Tony
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/