GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/10858-tomato-plants.html)

Ophelia 18-03-2003 01:56 PM

tomato plants

When are tomato plants likely to be on sale. I have always grown mine from
seed but I don't have the greenhouse now. I will have to grow them in the
cold frame and can only accomodate a couple of plants

Ophelia
Scoltand

Little Badger 18-03-2003 07:08 PM

tomato plants

I have the same problem with chilli plants!
I visit B&Q every week waiting for the plants to appear!

Badger

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes
When are tomato plants likely to be on sale. I have always grown mine

from
seed but I don't have the greenhouse now. I will have to grow them in

the
cold frame and can only accomodate a couple of plants

Hello Ophelia

I didn't know you posted here. If I were you I would wait until late
April before buying your tomato plants to avoid late frosts.
--
June Hughes

Hi June.. I ralways ead here but post rarely:)

I intend to put them in the cold frame so they would be protected from
frost. This is the first time I have had a cold frame. It is upright

with
4 shelves. In October I have sewn sweet peas and they are about 6 inches
long. I hoped to put in the tomato plants too. ie by the time the

weather
for the sweet peas is ok I could take out the shelves to accomodate the
tomatoes:)

I just wondered when the plants would be for sale. I don't want to miss
them

O :)

Kate Morgan 18-03-2003 07:56 PM

tomato plants

I just wondered when the plants would be for sale. I don't want to miss
them

O :)

I was late with my seeds last year and I bought plants from Suttons,
they were good.

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk

Ophelia 18-03-2003 08:33 PM

tomato plants

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I just wondered when the plants would be for sale. I don't want to miss
them

O :)

I was late with my seeds last year and I bought plants from Suttons,
they were good.

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk

Thank you Kate:) I shall order from them:) If nothing else I will not have
to keep running up to the Garden Centre to see if they are in. Also I
suspect I will get better plants:)

Ophelia:)

Kate Morgan 18-03-2003 09:00 PM

tomato plants

Thank you Kate:) I shall order from them:) If nothing else I will not have
to keep running up to the Garden Centre to see if they are in. Also I
suspect I will get better plants:)

Ophelia:)

happy I could help :-)

Michael Berridge 18-03-2003 09:23 PM

tomato plants

Ophelia wrote in message ...
When are tomato plants likely to be on sale. I have always grown mine

from
seed but I don't have the greenhouse now. I will have to grow them in

the
cold frame and can only accomodate a couple of plants

Ophelia
Scoltand

I have seen them in some garden centres already.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Brian Watson 18-03-2003 10:58 PM

tomato plants

"Ophelia" wrote in message
When are tomato plants likely to be on sale. I have always grown mine

from
seed but I don't have the greenhouse now. I will have to grow them in the
cold frame and can only accomodate a couple of plants

I have about twenty plants growing from seed in yogurt pots on my bedroom
windowsill and the damn things are now about 18" high and are flowering!

I am getting a growbag, tray and whitewood table tomorrow to transplant
them.

Toms by April, I reckon.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Ophelia 19-03-2003 07:44 AM

tomato plants

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
When are tomato plants likely to be on sale. I have always grown mine

from
seed but I don't have the greenhouse now. I will have to grow them in

the
cold frame and can only accomodate a couple of plants

I have about twenty plants growing from seed in yogurt pots on my bedroom
windowsill and the damn things are now about 18" high and are flowering!

I am getting a growbag, tray and whitewood table tomorrow to transplant
them.

Toms by April, I reckon.

Heavens.. that IS early:) I am in Scotland though so that is very early for
us:)

Kate Morgan 19-03-2003 09:44 AM

tomato plants

Toms by April, I reckon.

Heavens.. that IS early:) I am in Scotland though so that is very early for
us:)

I was chatting on the phone to a friend who has just moved up to
Scotland from Gloucestershire and she was telling me that the snowdrops
have only just come out,no daffs yet :-)
kate

Ophelia 19-03-2003 11:20 AM

tomato plants

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

Toms by April, I reckon.

Heavens.. that IS early:) I am in Scotland though so that is very early

for
us:)

I was chatting on the phone to a friend who has just moved up to
Scotland from Gloucestershire and she was telling me that the snowdrops
have only just come out,no daffs yet :-)
kate

She will be finding a big difference. I now have my crocus flowers through.
I have those on tubs and they have been in sheltered spot They are
glorious:)