Old 31-10-2005, 02:42 PM
dirt dibbler

Default shallot - banana, french

I remember reading in the past about banana shallots sets being
difficult to source & some being found in the supermarkets.
I've just found them on sale at my local Lidl & the packaging info. has
the variety as 'banana' & from france.

If i were to try growing these, when would they want to go in?
And are there any serious reasons not to like spreading virus etc?

Thanks
DD

Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 AM
La puce

dirt dibbler wrote:
I remember reading in the past about banana shallots sets being
difficult to source & some being found in the supermarkets.
I've just found them on sale at my local Lidl & the packaging info. has
the variety as 'banana' & from france.
If i were to try growing these, when would they want to go in?
And are there any serious reasons not to like spreading virus etc?

All I can think about is two type of 'echalotes', the grey one, small
size, they do not keep well and you should have planted them in the
automne, so there's still time with the weather we're having. Then
there's the bigger one which the French call 'from Jersey', which is
shaped like a croissant or indeed like a banana, though I have never
heard them being sold in France as the 'banana echalotes' but as the
'turkey's leg' or 'chicken leg' shaped echalotes. You can plant them
throughout the year. However, do not manure as this will bring on
diseases.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Leslie

I think you will be wasting your time.

I bought some last year and they were a disaster

I believe caused by the means of storage in France

...........................Leslie

"dirt dibbler" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember reading in the past about banana shallots sets being
difficult to source & some being found in the supermarkets.
I've just found them on sale at my local Lidl & the packaging info. has
the variety as 'banana' & from france.

If i were to try growing these, when would they want to go in?
And are there any serious reasons not to like spreading virus etc?

Thanks
DD

Garlic, shallot and onion query Moonraker United Kingdom 9 12-08-2011 11:22 PM
Trimming shallot tips prior to planting? David in Normandy[_8_] United Kingdom 1 10-03-2011 07:08 PM
Shallot Preserve John Edible Gardening 3 20-08-2006 01:27 PM
Where to find banana shallot seeds? Simon Byholm Edible Gardening 0 27-05-2004 02:06 PM
Introduction & Shallot pronoun United Kingdom 2 25-01-2003 03:33 PM