Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Registered User

Question wish i knew

hi i have what looks like bean shoots comeing up in my lawn ther are about six shoots to one plant and they are white in colour can anyone tell me what this is please thank you
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Bob Hobden

Default wish i knew

"josephine" wrote

hi i have what looks like bean shoots comeing up in my lawn ther are
about six shoots to one plant and they are white in colour can anyone
tell me what this is please thank you

Toadstools maybe? It's that time of year.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden
"josephine" wrote

hi i have what looks like bean shoots comeing up in my lawn ther are
about six shoots to one plant and they are white in colour can anyone
tell me what this is please thank you

Toadstools maybe? It's that time of year.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London
hi bob thank you for your answer i also have yellow and brown toadstools but never seen anything like this will waite and see how they turn out as its to wet to cut lawn i am in west sussex so its going to be a while thank you once again josepgine
Old 02-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Ted Richardson

"josephine" wrote in message
:
: hi i have what looks like bean shoots comeing up in my lawn ther are
: about six shoots to one plant and they are white in colour can anyone
: tell me what this is please thank you
:
:
: --
: josephine

Squirrel buried peanuts??
Ted R.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
La puce

Ted Richardson wrote:
Squirrel buried peanuts??

Nah... squirrels have been doing this in my garden for years, not one
germinated. Bet I've got 40 years old burried peanuts in there,
somewhere. Honestly, have you seen one germinating?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Spider

josephine wrote in message

hi i have what looks like bean shoots comeing up in my lawn ther are
about six shoots to one plant and they are white in colour can anyone
tell me what this is please thank you

--
josephine

Hi Josephine,

They could be tree seedlings. I have oaks, ashes and sycamore sprouting in
my lawn - although not at the moment. Look around at the local trees after
the true seedling leaves have developed, and it should give you some idea of
what you've got. It is then up to you whether you dig it out and grow it
on, or pull it up as a weed.

Spider

Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Ted Richardson

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Ted Richardson wrote:
: Squirrel buried peanuts??
:
: Nah... squirrels have been doing this in my garden for years, not one
: germinated. Bet I've got 40 years old burried peanuts in there,
: somewhere. Honestly, have you seen one germinating?
:
Yeh... I've had at least half dozen growing in the lawn each year,
that get mown off at an early age. I have also have to remove seedlings
from the pots in the garden, and at the moment I have 3 growing in with
the tomatoes in the ring culture pots in the greenhouse.
Last year I nurtured 2, they grew to about a foot high, flowered but then
flagged
and died off, along with my hopes of becoming a successful peanut farmer and
President of the United States.
The lady next door feeds a bagful to the little sods, most of which get
buried
in my garden.

Ted.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:56 PM
La puce

Ted Richardson wrote:
Yeh... I've had at least half dozen growing in the lawn each year,
that get mown off at an early age. I have also have to remove seedlings
from the pots in the garden, and at the moment I have 3 growing in with
the tomatoes in the ring culture pots in the greenhouse.
Last year I nurtured 2, they grew to about a foot high, flowered but then
flagged
and died off, along with my hopes of becoming a successful peanut farmer and
President of the United States.
The lady next door feeds a bagful to the little sods, most of which get
buried
in my garden.

Shame. That is the President of the United States bit. I've never seen
them growing in my garden but I find them here and there, burried or
one of my dogs bring one in. Perhaps I pick them up too soon. Don't
have a lawn see. Perhaps the conditions are not right here. Grim today.
Right. That's that then.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Nah... squirrels have been doing this in my garden for years, not one
germinated. Bet I've got 40 years old burried peanuts in there,
somewhere. Honestly, have you seen one germinating?

Yes, as it happens, one (presumably) buried by a squirrel, in my front
garden two years ago. I potted it up and grew it on a window-sill.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 02-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "La puce" contains these words:

Shame. That is the President of the United States bit. I've never seen
them growing in my garden but I find them here and there, burried or
one of my dogs bring one in.

That's just about right for the present incumbent. If your dog can't
cope, they should be mown.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

I knew we'd pay..... Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 26 08-04-2009 02:19 PM
Plants you would f*** if you knew no1 would find out tuliplover69 Garden Photos 3 26-12-2008 07:17 PM
I knew better, but... MVD Gardening 17 17-08-2007 02:08 PM
If you knew a sheddie...... Sacha United Kingdom 22 16-10-2006 08:15 PM
Things you wish newbies knew. [email protected] Ponds 1 01-02-2006 04:11 AM