Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
STEPHEN

Default Toadstools/mushrooms

How come I keep on getting the above every late October, I just can't
understand it, why that time of year always and what can I do to prevent it
happening?

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"

Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM

They just love warm wet weather, makes them grow and come up.. well..
just like mushrooms. Most British mushrooms are autumn plants, and the
warmer the autumn the better. Don't forget that some of them are very
tasty and very good eating, just ensure that you identify them
correctly.

Mike

Old 04-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Tumbleweed

wrote in message
ups.com...
They just love warm wet weather, makes them grow and come up.. well..
just like mushrooms. Most British mushrooms are autumn plants, and the
warmer the autumn the better. Don't forget that some of them are very
tasty and very good eating, just ensure that you identify them
correctly.

Mike

The way to identify them correctly is, if you dont die after eating them,
they are the right sort to eat.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 04-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from " contains these words:

They just love warm wet weather, makes them grow and come up.. well..
just like mushrooms. Most British mushrooms are autumn plants, and the
warmer the autumn the better. Don't forget that some of them are very
tasty and very good eating, just ensure that you identify them
correctly.

Hmmmm. Thet are *NOT* plants...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
JennyC

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
How come I keep on getting the above every late October, I just can't
understand it, why that time of year always and what can I do to prevent it
happening?

Stephen

It's called Autumn.....that's when they like to grow
Solution - move to Nevada.........
Jenny :~)

Old 05-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered User

You could improve the drainage of the area they appear in if it is particularly damp. Or if they are growing on old wood, remove it. But they are part of your wee garden ecosystem, maye you could learn to love them?

Besides, eveyone knows they attract fairies. Yum!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:06 PM
STEPHEN

Your right, just give me Half a Million and you won't see me
again...........honest

Stephen

Old 06-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Steve Newport

In cakes.

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:08:07 -0000, "Shazam"
wrote:
and how do you cook fairies?

Old 06-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message . com
from " contains these words:

They just love warm wet weather, makes them grow and come up.. well..
just like mushrooms. Most British mushrooms are autumn plants, and the
warmer the autumn the better. Don't forget that some of them are very
tasty and very good eating, just ensure that you identify them
correctly.

Hmmmm. Thet are *NOT* plants...

And even if they were, they are not autumn 'plants' they are autumn
*fruiting* - in other words, the fungus is there all the year round, but
it produces its fruit bodies in autumn.

Not all fungi, of course, are autumn fruiting, but a lot are. Basically
many of them produce a fruit body very quickly, which needs high
moisture content, usually most available in autumn.
--
Kay

Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
STEPHEN

Thanks Kay @ last a decent answer

Stephen

--

"From the man who can't make proper gravy"
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message . com
from " contains these

words:

toadstools farmer brown Lawns 2 27-07-2003 09:12 PM
Toadstools in new lawn Aileen Howard United Kingdom 0 04-07-2003 07:56 AM
Toadstools/Mushrooms Shepherd Gardening 1 04-06-2003 05:32 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 05:55 PM
Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools Carl United Kingdom 27 20-11-2002 07:10 PM