GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing/Rambler Roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108799-climbing-rambler-roses.html)

Jeanne Stockdale 05-11-2005 10:54 PM

Climbing/Rambler Roses

I have just received 2 climbing roses as a gift - Dublin Bay and Penny
Lane - and am trying to find the best position for them. At the back of one
of our flower beds we have a 2.5ft ornamental wall beyond which is a paved
area. If I were to plant one at each end of the back of this bed, would they
"trail/ramble" along the wall or do I need to find somewhere where they can
climb more vertically

Would appreciate any advice

Jeanne

jay jay 06-11-2005 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne Stockdale
I have just received 2 climbing roses as a gift - Dublin Bay and Penny
Lane - and am trying to find the best position for them. At the back of one
of our flower beds we have a 2.5ft ornamental wall beyond which is a paved
area. If I were to plant one at each end of the back of this bed, would they
"trail/ramble" along the wall or do I need to find somewhere where they can
climb more vertically

Would appreciate any advice

Jeanne

Dear Jeanne,

These two roses are both modern climbers and I would say more suited to climbing than rambling. From my (limited) experience, climbing roses have stiff stems and are less flexible than the ramblers which would happily spread along your wall. However, I would also add that rose stems that can be trained/pruned to spread horizontally produce more flowers so maybe its worth a go? You need to train the stems whilst they are young and flexible. I looked up my Peter Beales catalogues and it says that Penny Lane will grow to 12 x 8' and Dublin Bay 'a useful pillar rose' 7 x 5'. If you haven't already, why don't you also post your question to garden banter: rec.gardens.roses . Good luck. jay jay

Spider 07-11-2005 07:14 PM

Climbing/Rambler Roses

Jeanne Stockdale wrote in message
I have just received 2 climbing roses as a gift - Dublin Bay and Penny
Lane - and am trying to find the best position for them. At the back of

one
of our flower beds we have a 2.5ft ornamental wall beyond which is a paved
area. If I were to plant one at each end of the back of this bed, would

they
"trail/ramble" along the wall or do I need to find somewhere where they

can
climb more vertically

Would appreciate any advice

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

The last thing you should let them do is climb vertically. If you do, all
the flowers will be at the top; you will just see bare stems. They will
produce so much more flower if you train them horizontally on wires. They
will also be easier to dehead and prune. If you really want a vertical
flower display, it would be better to train each of them on an obelisk,
winding them around the structure so that, once again, they are more
horizontal than vertical. The horizontal training (or winding) encourages
the rose to produce more flowers.

I have a rose by my front gate which is wound around an obelisk-like
structure. It is always admired in the summer when smothered with flowers,
and admired again in winter for the way its bare branches spiral around the
tower. Incidentally, the rose I have trained in this way is the Japanese
ground-cover rose Rosa 'Nozomi'. The proprietor of my local GC refuses to
sell this rose because of its single season blooming. However, not having
seen R.'Nozomi' trained as a climber before, he stopped in his tracks,
"wowed" all over it and asked what it was. It hasn't changed his commercial
policy, but I think it changed his private one! Some of the ground cover
roses make great small pillar roses.

Spider