Old 06-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Registered User

Default Ground Beatle?

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Tumbleweed

"pitmastonlady" wrote in message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle.

Their haircuts?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.dyslexic.com/products.php?catid=43&pid=154

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 06-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Charlie Pridham

"pitmastonlady" wrote in message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

--
pitmastonlady

Ground beatles are shiny, if disturbed tend to leg it, vine weevils are dull
black and if you look closely have orange spots on them and if disturbed
play dead.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Peter

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Weevils don't have guitars!

Regards from Peter Crosland

Old 06-11-2005, 03:21 PM
michael adams

"pitmastonlady" wrote in message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Two of these sites which contain pictures, are American but both
ground beetles and vine weevils are European imports to the
US - one more welcome than the other.

From the pictures it's clear that ground beetles have a glossier
shell - weevils have a textured\ridged more matt shell. Also
ground beetles have a more rounded thorax - the chest and
shoulders part - which in weevils is more sloping.
Beetles have wider shoulders in other words.

vine weevil (RHS UK)

http://tinyurl.com/873xn

in full -

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/resea...ine_weevil.asp

or

vine weevil (Ohio US)

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2016.html

black beetle (US) (large picture)

http://tinyurl.com/dy2xz

or -

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...und_beetle.htm

michael adams

pitmastonlady

Old 06-11-2005, 03:27 PM
middleton.walker

"michael adams" wrote in message

"pitmastonlady" wrote in message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Two of these sites which contain pictures, are American but both
ground beetles and vine weevils are European imports to the
US - one more welcome than the other.

michael adam

spossibly as welcome as those imported blasted starlings and sparrows..H

Old 06-11-2005, 03:43 PM
michael adams

"middleton.walker" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"pitmastonlady" wrote in

message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Two of these sites which contain pictures, are American but both
ground beetles and vine weevils are European imports to the
US - one more welcome than the other.

michael adam

spossibly as welcome as those imported blasted starlings and sparrows..H

No problem there. Just cut down all your trees and lay concrete
everywhere. No more troublesome wildlife to make your life a
misery.

Either that, or spray it, or shoot it.

Kill, kill, kill !

michael adams

Old 06-11-2005, 05:08 PM
david taylor

Useful beetles- including the violet garden beetle, devil's coachhorse and
ladybirds have a pair of pincer like mandibles designed to scissor into
prey.
Weevils have a long probiscos or snout so that they can suck juices from a
plant. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of a vine weevil but other
weevils have this characteristic 'prong'.
Assassin bugs attack other insects and suck their juices, but are not
particularly beetle like in appearance and have a beak rather than a long
snout.
Regards
David T

Old 06-11-2005, 06:30 PM
middleton.walker

"david taylor" wrote in message
[...]

Kill, kill, kill !///////////wifey won't let me so might ship 'em
back.....H

michael adams

Old 06-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Phil L

middleton.walker wrote:
"david taylor" wrote in message
Useful beetles- including the violet garden beetle, devil's
coachhorse and ladybirds have a pair of pincer like mandibles
designed to scissor into prey.
Weevils have a long probiscos or snout so that they can suck juices
from a plant. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of a vine weevil
but other weevils have this characteristic 'prong'.
Assassin bugs attack other insects and suck their juices, but are not
particularly beetle like in appearance and have a beak rather than a
long snout.
Regards
David T
"michael adams" wrote in message

"middleton.walker" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"pitmastonlady" wrote
in message news
Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a
ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Two of these sites which contain pictures, are American but both
ground beetles and vine weevils are European imports to the
US - one more welcome than the other.

michael adam

spossibly as welcome as those imported blasted starlings and
sparrows..H

No problem there. Just cut down all your trees and lay concrete
everywhere. No more troublesome wildlife to make your life a
misery.

Either that, or spray it, or shoot it.

Kill, kill, kill !///////////wifey won't let me so might ship 'em
back.....H

michael adams

There's no need for that...

Old 06-11-2005, 08:19 PM
middleton.walker

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
middleton.walker wrote:
[...]

There's no need for that... //////////why not...just a case of getting
your own back

Old 06-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

"pitmastonlady" wrote in message
news

Can anyone please tell me the difference in appearence between a ground
Beatle and a Vine Weavel Beatle. Any help would be appreciated.

Ground beatles are shiny, if disturbed tend to leg it, vine weevils are dull
black and if you look closely have orange spots on them and if disturbed
play dead.

More generally, weevils (of all types) have long 'noses'; and they tend
to be slower and more cautious than beetles.
--
Kay

Old 06-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Phil L

middleton.walker wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
middleton.walker wrote:
[...]

sparrows..H ///////////starting typing here is a waste of time
because no one knows what you've said, you should start underneath
the last line of text..

No problem there. Just cut down all your trees and lay concrete
everywhere. No more troublesome wildlife to make your life a
misery.

Either that, or spray it, or shoot it.

Kill, kill, kill !///////////wifey won't let me so might ship 'em
back.....H

michael adams

There's no need for that... //////////why not...just a case of
getting your own back

Like here

Beatle On My Basil alan[remove][email protected] Edible Gardening 0 02-09-2005 07:51 PM
Red Lily Beatle Treetops Gardening 1 14-10-2004 03:23 PM
Strange Beatle Anna Gardening 6 03-05-2004 03:02 PM
how to get above ground pump to work on a below ground pond. matt clark Ponds 8 06-08-2003 02:12 AM
Ground Cover Suggestions Needed Erika Gardening 2 31-03-2003 03:32 PM