Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
capstan

Default Green Catapillars on Greens.

Once again the caterpillars on my brussel sprouts have beaten me.
As well as the Cabbage Whites which are easy to see and to remove, this
year the tops are also infested with pale green caterpillars which are very
difficult to see, being very well camouflaged.
I'd never noticed any egg clusters before so what butterfly / moth produced
these ?

capstan

Old 07-11-2005, 03:08 PM
david taylor

Green caterpillars are from the small white butterfly which lays single
white eggs scattered around the plants, may be one or two per large leaf.
In my experience they often move to the centre of a plant. A good pick over
may retrieve the situation as brasiccas have a god store of fod in their
roots and should recover. Butterflies are not likely to be active now.
I've seen other white and grey brown grubs on cabbages and sprouts-some
moths attack them.
Regards
David T

Old 08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
david taylor

Brown/grey grubs are the cabbage moth reported to be common.
David T.

"capstan" wrote in message
Once again the caterpillars on my brussel sprouts have beaten me.
As well as the Cabbage Whites which are easy to see and to remove, this
year the tops are also infested with pale green caterpillars which are
very difficult to see, being very well camouflaged.
I'd never noticed any egg clusters before so what butterfly / moth
produced these ?

capstan

Catapillars on Apple and Pear Trees Soria Spain Edible Gardening 1 15-08-2009 11:27 AM
Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves. Wil Edible Gardening 8 27-07-2008 04:03 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM